VMware {code} Community
HexDump
Contributor
Contributor

Desperated trying to connect to vmserver. Please help.

Hi all,

I have spent last 3 days trying to maek my c program connect remotely and localy to a vmserver 1.0.3 remote, 1.0.4 local.

Today I managed to connect to the remote one passing as Provider _WORKSTATION instead of _SERVER (really odd). I tried _DEFAULT too, wihtout any luck.

Afrter connect I copied the example code to list vms but no one was found, I tried to open one manually and it wasn´t found either (odd). The VM I connected to

had around 10 vm's.

With vmrun everything works ok and I really don´t understand it, lota of time wasted :(.

I have just read that vmware advices to use Vix 1.0 with vmserver, I have being used 1.1.2 (latest I think), anyway I have read in the forums too that if vmrun my C program should run too.

Could anyone please help here giving any tip or something?.

Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to pass the proper hostType for what you're trying to connect to. Passing WORKSTATION 'works' because its simply initializing things. It doesn't try to connect to your Server.
You certainly want to use the Vix that comes with Server for best results. Beyond that, I'd need to see error output.
0 Kudos
HexDump
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks mate, it worked.

HexDump.

0 Kudos