VMware {code} Community
Haibo
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with HostConnect in VIX 1.2 of VMWare server beta 1

I simply ran sample power***.pl in vix_perl/samples/ directory( sorry that I cannot remember the file name). But HostConnect() function never returned. why?

I only change the vmpath and $useworkstation=0, anything else to do?

BTW: Do I have to add the vm to inventory before I can register and open it? and can i create vm from Vix interfaces? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JPatten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am currently running into the same issue.

There has been some changes to the HostConnect() command, which from what I can find, is not documented anywhere. If you look at my other post, the new connection settings are in there, however, I am still experiencing the same issue with the HostConnect() not returning.

0 Kudos
JPatten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I seemed to have fixed my problem by using the actual IP of the server instead of "localhost" in the connection string.

Now onto the next error I received.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you follow the changes I specified in the post that JPatten referred to (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/113320?tstart=0), then you should be able to get the sample scripts to work.

Remember to specify the IP address of the host in the URL.

In terms of adding virtual machines to the inventory, this is the same thing as registering a virtual machine. So, if a virtual machine is not in the server's inventory, then you can add it by calling RegisterVM() (please note that in the post I mentioned above I explain how to give the virtual machine's path to RegisterVM()). You will only be open a virtual machine that has been registered/added to the inventory.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

JPatten, if you are encountering different errors after connecting to the host, please let us know and start a new discussion.

0 Kudos