VMware Cloud Community
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Azure to VMware

Has anyone done migrations FROM Azure to VMware?  I need to move 30-ish servers from Azure to VMware and it needs to be as smooth as possible with little to no downtime. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I dont think VMware has a migration tool for migrating VMs from Public Cloud like Azure. With out downtime we cant achieve the migration unless you have a software solution to replicate the VMs.

Using 'VMware standalone converter' you can do V2V. The same approach can be used to migrate Azure with the assumption the Converter has access to the Linux/Windows VM on required ports.

Download VMware vCenter Converter Standalone for P2V Conversion .

Other option is dowload the Azure VMs and convert it to VMDKs.

0 Kudos
Aliz2017
Contributor
Contributor

Hi yezdi

Can I find anywhere a step-by-step guide on how to migrate a powered-down VM from Azure to a local server using VMware standalone converter? The converter's user guide does not mention anything about Azure.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Firstly, this isn't a vRealize Automation subject. Secondly, there's going to be downtime no matter how you go about this. Using the VMware Converter is your best bet for minimal downtime, but the source machine will have to be powered on.

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, Just wondering if you managed to successfully migrate workloads from azure to VMware and if so what method did you end up using?

0 Kudos
Bogdan28
Contributor
Contributor

What about to migrate Azure VMs to Azure VMware Solution first, as an intermediate step. Then using HCX to keep data in sync with your On-Premises environment as a DR scenario, then just run a fail-over - definitely you will increase the cost using AVS but you will significant reduce  the downtime.

Another scenario, using AVS, might be to use VMware SRM - between AVS and On-Premises - never tried but might be something which can be analyzed.

0 Kudos