VMware Cloud Community
mkaetm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Custom property for VM Name

Hi,

Is there a custom property available which contains the VM Name as a value?

Reason for my question: Since there is no support for automatic customization of Debian Linux in vSphere / vRA, we are using the Guest agent (which runs fine even on Debian) together with a shellscript inside the VMs to configure things like hostname, IP address, network mask, gateway and DNS. The configuration of IP, network mask, gateway and DNS works just fine. The remaining part is the hostname.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Br,

Matthias

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's either "Hostname" or "VirtualMachine.Admin.Name" which are case sensitive.

0 Kudos
mkaetm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@daphnissov

As far as I know the custom property "VirtualMachine.Hostname" specifies the ESXi Server, which runs the VM. By hostname I meant the hostname of the VM itself (in the OS). What I need is a custom property, which contains the VM Name, e.g.:

CloudClient>vra machines detail --id VRA-ITST-U-039

+---------------------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

| Property                              | Value                                          |

+---------------------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

| blueprint                             | Industrial-OS-1.2-Inno-Branchtest3.0-24x7-v1.0 |

| cpuCount                              | 2                                              |

| dailyCost                             | 0                                              |

| destructionDate                       | 2020-01-10T09:31:46.830Z                       |

| expirationDate                        | 2020-01-10T09:31:46.830Z                       |

| interfaceType                         | vSphere                                        |

| machineType                           | Virtual                                        |

| memoryMB                              | 4096                                           |

| name                                  | VRA-ITST-U-039                                 |

I already tried VirtualMachine.Name and VirtualMachine.MachineName, but both did not work.

0 Kudos
vklinden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hostname is usually the one that I use.

0 Kudos