VMware Cloud Community
fmorelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sizing vra core components - sockets per core.

I saw some reference architectures that shows the vcpu/mem requirements, but I would like to see if someone saw some specification that shows the ratio between vcu and sockets. I mean for example if I am using the medium size related to vRA reference architecture how many vcpu/sockets I will need to configure for each IaaS servers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it's a general VMware best practice to use sockets over cores. From a vCPU perspective, both result in the same number, but it allows better NUMA scheduling at the hypervisor layer. There are dozens of articles and books that cover this, so some basic searches will turn up lots.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vRA components in the stack should (like is generally recommended) prefer sockets over cores.

0 Kudos
fmorelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi daphnissov, thanks a lot for your reply, I saw the minimum and maximum requirements in the vRA reference architect docs that only mentioned as you mentioned recomendation, but nothing saying that we must be use sockets over cores, is it a VMware best practices? Do you have some link that mentioned this assumption?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it's a general VMware best practice to use sockets over cores. From a vCPU perspective, both result in the same number, but it allows better NUMA scheduling at the hypervisor layer. There are dozens of articles and books that cover this, so some basic searches will turn up lots.

0 Kudos
fmorelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will look for this topic...I appreciated a lot.

0 Kudos