VMware Cloud Community
mapdeep
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCAC workflow stubs

Hi

Is is possible to have multiple versions of workflow stubs in VCAC which can be assigned to multiple blueprints.

For example in a multi-machine blueprint each component machine has to execute different WFStubMachineProvisioned workflow.

Regards,

Deepak.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can define the custom property  ExternalWFStub.MachineProvisioned with the value of the ID of the workflow for each blueprint within your multi-machine blueprint. Each individual blueprint will run the workflow ID that you specified when the multi-machine blueprint is requested.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To add on that, that is only possible if leveraging vCO (as far as I'm aware).

-Steve
0 Kudos
jasondgarland
Contributor
Contributor

I though this was only possible if you purchased the very expensive development kit?

0 Kudos
mapdeep
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Steve/echotome,

Thanks for the reply.

So do we need to key in the VCO workflow ID as the value for ExternalWFStub.MachineProvisioned in blueprint properties. If yes how will the input parameters of vco workflow get mapped with vcac.

Regards,

Deepak

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you use the workflow template that's part of the vCAC plugin, it will automatically populate custom property values from the vCAC VM object, as well as supply the vCAC VM and vCenter VM (where applicable), and that can be passed into vCO attribute objects to be used through the workflow(s).

-Steve
0 Kudos
VMANALYST
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The best way is to copy the "workflow template" from the Plugin for vcac6.0 or Extensibility package for 5.x and embed your business logic in it. The template already have the scriptaable task which displays all the Custom properties entered. You can use the code and write your business logic.

Also the best way for your scenarios is to create multiple Build Profiles with the property" ExternalWFStub.MachineProvisioned"  value as different workflowid and associate them with Component Blueprint.

--Pankaj

0 Kudos
lnairn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, you can use an "if" sentence in the WFStubMachineProvisioned, for example, filtering the VMName, or a custom property value, and call different script/vco workflows from the WFStubMachineProvisioned workflow for each of the VMs

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You don't need the devkit to enable the workflow stub call outs. To enable the call outs to the workflow stubs you need to run some configuration workflows from vCO.  You will need to also have a vCO endpoint configured in the IaaS piece of vCAC.  The instructions here will do a much better job of explaining than I will.  Just ignore the screens where they show the verification in designer and trust that the workflow did its job if it doesn't error out.

http://www.vmtocloud.com/how-to-extend-vcac-with-vco-part-1-installation/

Why this isn't also clearly documented is one of the great mysteries of VMware documentation.  At least last time I checked I couldn't find any information on this method.  I knew about it from the 5.2 extensibility package that was posted for vCO which appears to be a core piece if the vCAC plugins.

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It does (for changing default stubs) . But that license is not being sold any more. VMware wants to get away from it.

The only thing you COULD do is overwriting the default stub. I think someone posted a guide somewhere which adds additional ones I believe.

Not 100% sure .. I think the best bet is to use vCO rather than the designer.

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos