VMware Cloud Community
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 7.1 and infoblox plugin 4.0.0.. cant get it to work

Hi,

I'm trying to get vRA 7.1 and Infoblox plugin 4.0 with WAPI to work.

I have followed the docs included with the plugin from infoblox and everthing is fine up to creating the endpoint for Infoblox in vRA.
In infoblox we have a specific user which have permission to register/release hostrecords on one specific /24 network. The WAPI connection is successful in the logs.
On vRA 6.2 we had to trail and error to get the permissions right for that user.

As i understand, now you have to create Network Profiles i vRA, and when i do this i can choose my Infoblox endpoint ive created.

On the tab "Network Ranges" the field "Address Space" is empty and when i try to +Add - "Select Network Range" i see errors in the infoblox workflow "Get IP Ranges".

IPAM Provider Error: {"code":3000,"message":"An error has occurred while searching for networks. Detail: Result set too large (> 1000) (Workflow:Get IP Ranges / Fill Networks (item2)#10)"} (Dynamic Script Module name : throwIpamError#28)

What caught my eye was "Result set too large (> 1000)".

After that...
I have created my blueprint with a server and a "existing network", then attached the network profile i created.
I have selected on server blueprint under the network tab i choose my network profile, can choose both static or dhcp assignment type.
Under reservations i have attached my network profile to the network path. 

So... does anyone know how to narrow down the search for that specific network? 
Or have any idea on permissions needed in infoblox for "Address Spaces" and "Get IP Ranges"? 
Can you filter in the custom properties in the endpoint maybe, infrastructure/endpoint/enpoints/infoblox-> custom properties?
The documentation ive found is so thin on this...

In vRA 6.2.3 we used the infoblox plugin 3.1.0 and did the exact same thing but we just pointed at the infoblox workflow "Reserve an IP in Network for vCAC VM" etc.

Maybe im missing something so clear i cant see it myself 😞

Any idea what could be wrong is appriciated or direction to take.
I dont know if this forum is the right place but... ill give it a shoot.
Btw im just a vmware-admin and does not manage infoblox directly.

If in the end i need to call the support, do i call vmware or infoblox? 😄

Included some screenshots.

/Best regards

asdasdHi,

I'm trying to get vRA 7.1 and Infoblox plugin 4.0 with WAPI to work.

I have followed the docs included with the plugin from infoblox and everthing is fine up to creating the endpoint for Infoblox in vRA.
In infoblox we have a specific user which have permission to register/release hostrecords on one specific /24 network. The WAPI connection is successful in the logs.
On vRA 6.2 we had to trail and error to get the permissions right for that user.

As i understand, now you have to create Network Profiles i vRA, and when i do this i can choose my Infoblox endpoint ive created.
On the tab "Network Ranges" the field "Address Space" is empty and when i try to +Add - "Select Network Range" i see errors in the infoblox workflow "Get IP Ranges".

IPAM Provider Error: {"code":3000,"message":"An error has occurred while searching for networks. Detail: Result set too large (> 1000) (Workflow:Get IP Ranges / Fill Networks (item2)#10)"} (Dynamic Script Module name : throwIpamError#28)

What caught my eye was "Result set too large (> 1000)".

After that...
I have created my blueprint with a server and a "existing network", then attached the network profile i created.
I have selected on server blueprint under the network tab i choose my network profile, can choose both static or dhcp assignment type.
Under reservations i have attached my network profile to the network path. 

So... does anyone know how to narrow down the search for that specific network? 
Or have any idea on permissions needed in infoblox for "Address Spaces" and "Get IP Ranges"? 
Can you filter in the custom properties in the endpoint maybe, infrastructure/endpoint/enpoints/infoblox-> custom properties?
The documentation ive found is so thin on this...

In vRA 6.2.3 we used the infoblox plugin 3.1.0 and did the exact same thing but we just pointed at the infoblox workflow "Reserve an IP in Network for vCAC VM" etc.

Maybe im missing something so clear i cant see it myself 😞
Any idea what could be wrong is appriciated or direction to take.
I dont know if this forum is the right place but... ill give it a shoot.
Btw im just a vmware-admin and does not manage infoblox directly.

If in the end i need to call the support, do i call vmware or infoblox? 😄

Included some screenshots.

/Best regards
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again,

Now i finally got time to test this. This i what we did to get it working.

1. Downloaded the new 4.0.1 plugin. It fixes the "Result set too large (> 1000)" stuff.

2. Gave the api-user "All network views" access.

3. Created two "Extensible Attributes" in infoblox, because the new plugin needs it. Se plugin docs.

- VMware resource ID (string type)

- VMware NIC index (Integer type)

Now we can allocate and release host records in infoblox.

BUT HOLD ON!!!

The release workflow only seem to look at "VMware resource ID" extensible attribute that is some value created on the host record when the allocating workflow is run. Thats great when we have created the host record with this new 4.0.1 plugin that sets those values. But in our old 6.2 environment (plugin 3.1.0) no such values exist on our host records. So when we migrate over virtual machines from 6.2 to 7.1, and when we destroy a server, infoblox is not going to find that host record, because it only looks at VMware resource ID.....

I tried it by just deleting the "VMware resource ID" for a vm i have created with 4.0.1, and when i destroyed the vm and the infoblox workflow "release" was run, it could not find the host record 😞

I really hope im missing something here so i can have the release workflow look at the name of the host record instead, like in 3.1.0 plugin on vRA 6.2.

Right now im trying to find where this "VMware resource ID" comes from and if i can manually add it to my old 6.2 host records...or something.

Happy for advice on this!!

/ Best regards

VMware resource ID (string type)
• VMware NIC index (Integer type)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PeterRizk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there, please open a ticket with Infoblox Support and we will take a closer look at this issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for replying!

I will look into making a ticket, but im not the one managing infoblox so i have to go through another group/person for that, im the vmware admin.

First we are going to try find some time to do some more joint troubleshooting this week, maybe we can figure this out some how. Cant seem to find anyone else have trouble with WAPI and this new 4.0 plugin.

Do you or anyone else have any advice straight away which could help us? I'm glad we are setting up this side by side and not migrating from 6.2, if we cant get this to work we are not going to vRA 7.1. 😞

Thanks

0 Kudos
yamskov
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ukusic.

The plugin can return only up to 1000 IPv4 networks and up to 1000 IPv4 ranges from NIOS per one request.

When you click on "+ Add" button, the plugin tries to return all IPv4 networks and ranges from your NIOS server.

But it looks like the number of IPv4 networks or ranges in your NIOS is more then 1000, and you get the error "Result set too large (> 1000)".

The way how you can try to limit the number of networks/ranges in this case - choose appropriate Address Space (Network View in terminology of Infoblox NIOS) first and then click on "+ Add" button.

In this case the plugin returns IPv4 networks and ranges only from selected Address Space (Network View). If the number of networks/ranges in selected network view will be less than 1000, everything will be OK.

Take into account that if you don't choose any Address Space on this page (as I can see at the screenshot you attached), the plugin will try to return ALL IPv4 networks and ranges from NIOS and the probability to face with "Result set too large (> 1000)" is higher in this case.

Another way - open a ticket with Infoblox Support, as it was suggested above.

Looks like the issue on the plugin side.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

I will take this informaiton to my infoblox admin and look into the permissions why my specific user for this integration cant see anything under "address spaces". Nothing comes up when i click it, thats why its empty on the screenshot ;(

When i click  "address space" like in the screenshot, the vRO workflow /Infoblox/vRA/Get Address Spaces gets executed successfully and the log looks like the attached file.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
yamskov
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are right, Ukusic.

It looks like a permission issue.

You can try the following:

1. Go to [Administration -> Administrator -> Permissions] in NIOS UI.

2. Select appropriate user or group

3. Add global permissions to the selected item:

IPAM Permissions -> All Network Views

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
nubronco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same/similar issue. I have a value in my 'Address space:' field. When I try to add a network range I get the same error in the vRO workflow about result set too large. I have tried to search for just one specific name and still get the same error. Seems the search/filtering doesn't help with the result set being too large. I will speak with support and post back what is found.

0 Kudos
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again,

Now i finally got time to test this. This i what we did to get it working.

1. Downloaded the new 4.0.1 plugin. It fixes the "Result set too large (> 1000)" stuff.

2. Gave the api-user "All network views" access.

3. Created two "Extensible Attributes" in infoblox, because the new plugin needs it. Se plugin docs.

- VMware resource ID (string type)

- VMware NIC index (Integer type)

Now we can allocate and release host records in infoblox.

BUT HOLD ON!!!

The release workflow only seem to look at "VMware resource ID" extensible attribute that is some value created on the host record when the allocating workflow is run. Thats great when we have created the host record with this new 4.0.1 plugin that sets those values. But in our old 6.2 environment (plugin 3.1.0) no such values exist on our host records. So when we migrate over virtual machines from 6.2 to 7.1, and when we destroy a server, infoblox is not going to find that host record, because it only looks at VMware resource ID.....

I tried it by just deleting the "VMware resource ID" for a vm i have created with 4.0.1, and when i destroyed the vm and the infoblox workflow "release" was run, it could not find the host record 😞

I really hope im missing something here so i can have the release workflow look at the name of the host record instead, like in 3.1.0 plugin on vRA 6.2.

Right now im trying to find where this "VMware resource ID" comes from and if i can manually add it to my old 6.2 host records...or something.

Happy for advice on this!!

/ Best regards

VMware resource ID (string type)
• VMware NIC index (Integer type)
0 Kudos