VMware Cloud Community
NVA
Contributor
Contributor

Beginning with orchestrator - How can I execute "migrate virtual machine" on object (RessourcePool, host, etc)

Hi,

I just install VMware Orchestrator (Vcenter 4 Update 1). The configuration is OK and I can execute basic workflow.

But I don't find any documentation with exemple for running workflow.

For my learning, I want to try execute the workflow "migrate virtual machine" on one host (for migrate all VMs from this host to another). I try to use "Run a workflow on a selection of objects" and selection the workflow "migrate virtual machine". The problem is when I do that I can selection a host or a RessourcePool for executing the "migrate virtual machine" but the VMs don't move because I can not specify the destination host. There is no error but there is nothing on VC !

My question is (for my learning) what is the best practice to do what I want ? Can you give me your experience ?

A second question is about the workflow "Fill batch configuration elements", I don't understand what is this workflow because it is empty ! Should I use this ?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english !!!

All information about orchestrator (link, experience, exemple, etc) will be really usefull for me !

Regards,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1. I think you are going down the right track. First run a few workflows then see if you want to build some yourself.

When you say you can't specify the destination host, do you have a VC configured in the configurator (http://localhost:8280)?

2. "Fill batch configuration elements" is sets up the other workflow in the same folder: "batch workflow". It fills out the default values for you. In general, you would only need to run "Fill batch configuration elements" once unless you have created new workflows. The "Fill batch configuration elements" workflow also doesn't output anything since it's just a setup for another workflow.

Sia

NVA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your help !

I think I just need more experience with this product...

But I have some time now and I plan to create a real lab for testing all !

Thank you !

Regards,

0 Kudos