VMware Cloud Community
robdjong
Contributor
Contributor

Export vCOPS learnings to new vCenter

Hi all,

For a customer I need to upgrade their production environment from vSphere/vCenter 4.1 to 5.0u1 which is currently running vCOPS 5.0.

My plan is to install a new vCenter 5.0u1 and upgrade the hosts one-by-one to 5.0u1 and redirect them to this new vCenter. Why not do an inline upgrade of the current vCenter you may ask?  Reason for this is that I will first need to upgrade my hosts for they are running 'Express Patch 1' (patch just before Update 1) which is unsupported on vCenter 5.0 (hosts could possible experience a PSOD when running under vCenter 5.0, see

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200958...).

The customer isn't very happy with first upgrading all their hosts to 4.1u1 and then upgrading them to 5.0u1. In order to avoid that I can stick to my initial plan and install a new vCenter. But! Doing so I will loose all history in vCOPS. So here is my question. Is there a way to export the knowledge that vCOPs has learned into a new vCenter? Or is there a different migration scenario that I might have missed?

Regs,

Rob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  robdjong

Welcome to communities .

Instead of doing all at a time I will suggest to split & do one or two then observer & solve post update problem .

In this way neither user nor you will face more problem .

"concentrate the mind on the present moment"
0 Kudos