VMware Cloud Community
david_loup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guest OS memory metric in Vcops ? (guest level metric)

Hello,

After reading this article : http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/10/understanding-vsphere-active-memory.html I understand that the "Active Memory" metric isn't enough to determine if a VM is oversized or not.

I'm wondering if there is a way to have "guest level" metric. For exemple, having in Vcops, the same information we have in the guest os task manager ?

I looked a little on the web and found there was "adaptater" for Vcops that allows us to have custom metric.

So my question is : Is there a way to have a "guest os point of view" of the memory utilization instead of the "ESX point of view" ? (Because Active Memory just show us what the ESX sees the WM is actively using, but it's not the same value we have in the guest os task manager)

When it comes to right-sizing, I saw that I wasn't the only one that wanted to see what amount of memory the guest OS is actually using. So I guess VMware find a way to make Vcenter collect guests OS metric.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, you can get GuestOS metrics from the likes of Hyperic and SCOM. Those adapter exist and work pretty well.

If you own vC Ops, you already own Hyperic, so that's a pretty easy solution.

GuestOS level perf metrics can't be populated in vCenter, and Hyperic metric can't be taken in to consideration 'yet' in oversized VM reporting and views.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
david_loup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the Standard version of Vcops so I don't have hyperic. But I'll download a evaluation of Hyperic just to see.

Anyway : Thank you !

0 Kudos