VMware Cloud Community
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

Health, risk and Efficiancy Unknown

I've added an additional vCenter into vCenter Operations Manage but the Health, Risk and Efficiency are all showing up ‘Unknown’

I had the same problem when I added the first vCenter server in, but after a day it started to populate with info. The vCenter I’ve just added is about 600VM’s

Anyone got any idea how long it should take before I start getting some stats on it. Its been going for 3 days now

Many thanks for your assistance

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

It should display health information with the first collection ... that takes maybe about the 5-10 minutes depending on the performance of the vApp.

What license type do you have? (that'll help tune my response)

0 Kudos
Allanloran
Contributor
Contributor

did you check on your vcenter if you have open the necessary port for vcops. Also if you have a big database on vcenter it may be necessary to increase memory on your VM inside the vapps.

Last point did you applied the pak 5.0.2 correction, you should also applie it .

I have about 700 VM inside my vcenter and default setting are ok but if you reduce to much the memory on vcops appliance i have the same result as you do , vcops is unable to process the data crush...

i wish this will help you

0 Kudos
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Its licesned for 10000 VM's.

With regards to ports, not sure how to check and i've checkde the performance of both apliances and they are running very low

I will look at appying pak 5.0.2

Many thaks for your assistance

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

When i asked about license type, I was referring to Standard/Advanced/Enterprise (since it changes what websites you have available to you).

0 Kudos
Allanloran
Contributor
Contributor

For the configuration take a look at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-5-installation-guide.pdf page 9 for firewall ports. and check if they are open on your windows server who include vcenter and page 13 for optimal configuration for memore cpu.

0 Kudos
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

Port 1194 or 22 is not listed when I run netstat –an /find –i  “listening” on the vCenter server im not getting data for. However, these are neither listed on the vCenter server which is connected and I am getting data from

Wondows Firewall's are off also, and there are no firewalls between vCenter and vCOPS

The specs for the UI and Analytics VM’s came as part of the appliance and they seem to check out with the PDF

0 Kudos
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

A mixture of Enterprise and Enterprise Plus

0 Kudos
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

Port 1194 or 22 is not listed when I run netstat –an /find –i “listening” on the vCenter server im not getting data for. However, these are neither listed on the vCenter server which is connected and I am getting data from

The specs for the UI and Analytics VM’s came as part of the appliance and they seem to check out with the PDF

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Answering the original question:

- Health badge and it's sub-badges (Workload, Anomalies, Faults) should populate no later than few hours after the new VC is added.

- Risk and Efficiency badges should populate within 24 hours.

0 Kudos
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

This has now been resolved

In the activemq.log in /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/log there was an error

| INFO  | Database /data/activemq/data/kahadb/lock is locked... waiting 10 seconds for the database to be unlocked. Reason: java.io.F
ileNotFoundException: /data/activemq/data/kahadb/lock (Permission denied) | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | WrapperSimpleAppMain

This error would persist even after a restart of services

the gods of google pointed to the kahadb in /data/activemq/data. The kahadb folder had different permission than the kahadb.old folder so we chown and chgrp the kahabh folder to admin from root and restarted the services which resolved the issues

Not sure how this happned, but it works! on reading most permissions should be for the admin user and not root

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I'm pretty sure this can happen if services are started/stopped manually as root instead of the admin account.  The permissions on the files will presist because files were created under a chown of root instead of admin.  Do you know if this was done at any point?  Otherwise, we may not know why.

0 Kudos
AdamoDeG
Contributor
Contributor

its only me that has access to the 2 VM's and i've only ever rebooted before this incident, never stopped and started manually.

If i rebooted it under root would that have the same affect?

0 Kudos
sorina
Contributor
Contributor

HI

I use Trial versio Of OPs . it shows health in dashboard but does not display risk and effiecncy (is unknown)

0 Kudos