VMware Cloud Community
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aria Lifecycle Manager 8.16 Upgrade Not Available

We are currently running Aria Lifecycle Manager 8.14.1 (Patch 1) with Product Support Pack 6 and Aria Operations 8.14.1 among other applications.  VMware released a security advisory yesterday about Aria Operations 8.14 and the solution is to upgrade to Operation 8.16.0.

I went into LCM and checked for new binaries - none found.

I figured I needed a newer PSP that was aware of Operation 8.16 - none found.

I did some more looking on VMware's site and found that LCM 8.16 was also released -- figured I needed to upgrade to it to get support for other Aris 8.16 applications.  Went to Settings -> System Upgrade and clicked CHECK FOR UPGRADE -- got "No upgrade available".

Went online and downloaded the VMware-Aria-Suite-Lifecycle-Appliance-8.16.0.4-23334789-updaterepo.isofile, uploaded that to my vSphere environment, placed it on an applicable datastore, modified the LCM VM settings to attach to that ISO file.  If I SSH to the LCM VM, I see that the ISO is mounted and I see the manifest and the folder of RPMs for the upgrade.  But if I go back to the LCM UI to Settings->System Upgrade, select CDROM and click CHECK FOR UPGRADE, I keep getting the error "Check if VMware Aria Suite lifecycle upgrade ISO file has been mapped to CDROM location."

So ... how do I get the update to be seen, either from the online repo, or from the local ISO file?

If I can't upgrade LCM, it appears that I can't upgrade Operations (at least not by using LCM).

Thanks,

David Goldsmith

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrades will not be allowed if there are Remote Collectors in use

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Aria-Operations/8.16/rn/vmware-aria-operations-816-release-notes/i...

0 Kudos
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, but I'm having issues with LCM 8.16 upgrade which seems to be a pre-req of even attempting the Operations 8.16 upgrade thru LCM.

0 Kudos
FredGSanford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Licensing bug found in the Aria 8.16 releases, downloads have been pulled or will be.  Avoid this release until fix arrives.  We had to rollback vrli, vrops and lcm today. 

0 Kudos
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, thats good to know. 

How did you find out?  Problems after installing and talking to VMware Tech Support?

Looks like the binaries for LCM 8.16 are now not available. 

Thanks,

David Goldsmith

0 Kudos
FredGSanford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We found out while on a call with our TAM.  I also saw an error on the License page of vRLI.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
GiLMORE80
Contributor
Contributor

Note that the Aria suite Lifecycle 8.14's latest Product Support Pack (PSP 7) allows to upgrade to 8.16 through the traditional method.

Even though, I downloaded the ISO (8.16.0.4-23334789-updaterepo) on Feb 21st, I can confirm the binaries have been removed now , any ideas why?

However, once upgraded to Aria Suite Lifecycle 8.14 (PATCH1) with PSP 7 you can:

- Download the Aria Operations 8.16 Upgrade binaries and install them
- Update to Aria Suite Lifecycle to 8.16 (if available for Customer Connect download) using System Upgrade

0 Kudos
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So the 8.16 binaries have been re-released on Feb 29 and I have downloaded the update repo ISO, stored it on a datastore and attached it to the LCM VM.

When I try to do a system update from the CDROM, it still gives me an error inidicating it believes no ISO is attached.  But if you look at the screenshot of my SSH session to the LCM VM, you see the ISO is mounted, and there are 450+ RPMs contained within it.

Any ideas why LCM UI is failing to find this?

Thanks,

David Goldsmith

0 Kudos
GiLMORE80
Contributor
Contributor

That's right; it's been uploaded a few days ago; I forgot to mention here.

But you probably need to update to the latest Product Support Pack (8.14 PSP 7) in order for Aria Suite Lifecycle to allow an update to Aria Suite Lifecycle 8.16.

0 Kudos
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have PSP8 installed.

0 Kudos
mmangold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to upload the .iso for the manually-downloaded 8.16.1 updaterepo directly to Suite Lifecycle Manager's /data directory via sftp from PowerShell (e.g.: sftp root@LCMHOSTNAME-or-IP ). Once there, next go to Binary Mapping -> Product Binaries -> Add Binaries. Select Location Type = Local, Base Location = /data/filename.updaterepo. Lastly, initiate the Upgrade and the task should complete successfully.

--
MM
VI-Admin | vSphere | vSAN | Aria | Skyline Advisor Pro
0 Kudos
jwestgaard
Contributor
Contributor

You have probably solved your problem now. But if not, take a look at the following KBs that might help you:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/96749
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/95899 - the article refers to "upgrade_status.json", in our environment the file is "update_status.json"

0 Kudos