VMware Cloud Community
santunez2275
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Doubt Configure BGP in the Tier-0 Gateway for Availability Zone 2

Hello Guys

Sorry for the question, because I have confusion regarding Configure BGP in the Tier-0 Gateway for Availability Zone 2.

I have configured VCF and it is already stretched with two datacenters, which are operational. Now I am going through the process of Configure BGP in the Tier-0 Gateway for Availability Zone 2, but I have doubts in the process indicated in

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Foundation/5.0/vcf-admin/GUID-E2A6DCE6-EC70-4583-AB45-5504C7850651.html

• On the NSX Manager main navigation bar, click Networking.
  • In the navigation pane, click Tier-0 gateways.
  • Select the gateway and from the ellipsis menu, click Edit.
  • Add the uplink interfaces to the NSX Edge nodes.
                Expand BGP and in the BGP neighbors section, click 2.
                In the Set BGP neighbors dialog box, click Add BGP neighbor and configure the following settings

In Sources address, it asks me for the interfaces of AZ2, but it only shows me the interfaces of AZ1
IPs:

NSX ASN is 65000
ASN Switch AZ1: 65101

ASN Switch AZ2: 65102

I don't know if it's correct, or I should do some process before.

Thanks for your comments

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

kindly allow me to understand your scenario by answering the below:

- VCF is stretched from VSAN perspective so far correct ?

- What is your use case  from networking perspective between the two sites ? A/A ? A/P ?

- What is your expectation about the failure scenario from Site A to Site B from time perspective ?

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
santunez2275
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Kindly allow me to understand your scenario by answering the below:

- VCF is stretched from VSAN perspective so far correct?
Yeah that's right

- What is your use case from networking perspective between the two sites? A/A ? A/P ?
Activate/Activate

- What is your expectation about the failure scenario from Site A to Site B from time perspective?
Let the VMs move and be able to maintain IP addressing

Regards

0 Kudos
EagleB5
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The design which the documentation refers to is this: BGP North-South Routing for VMware Cloud Foundation Instances with Multiple Availability Zones

In short: You'll have two Edge nodes running in AZ1 which are protected with vSphere HA and in case of a failure would failover to AZ2. They peer with a routing device in AZ1 and AZ2 respectively and have traffic steering enabled so that e- and ingress is in AZ1 primarily.

From network perspective this is a bad design and leads into long service interruption in case AZ1 fails. I would rather expand this cluster with a second pair of Edge nodes, keep them in AZ2 and peer it accordingly without traffic steering enabled. You'll end up having asymmetric routing but advantages of having almost zero failover time because you'll have active components in every AZ running (no need for failing over Edge nodes between AZ).

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Based on your inputs, I believe the below will help you:

Deploying NSX-T in a Stretched Cluster – Part 1 

Deploying NSX-T in a Stretched Cluster – Part 2 

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
Tags (1)