VMware Cloud Community
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Number of hosts for an extra VxRail cluster in a VI Workload Domain

Hi there!

I have a question about the minimum number of VxRail hosts for a new cluster that is going to be added to an existing VI Workload Domain. The documentation states: A VI workload domain consists of one or more vSphere clusters. Each cluster starts with a minimum of three hosts and can scale up to the vSphere maximum of 64 hosts.

So when I create a stretched VxRail cluster of 4 hosts (and 1 witness) can I add that cluster to my existing VI Workload Domain? A colleague says it is not possible.

If this is not possible please guide me to a document or other evidence that we need more than 4 hosts. Thanks!!

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cathalp_vmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The cluster is first added with a minimum of three nodes to the VI WLD, it can then be stretched to 3+3.

It is not possible to add an already stretched cluster to the VI WLD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cathalp_vmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The cluster is first added with a minimum of three nodes to the VI WLD, it can then be stretched to 3+3.

It is not possible to add an already stretched cluster to the VI WLD.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation!

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One more question: can you start with three nodes, stretch the cluster to six nodes and then remove two nodes from the cluster?

0 Kudos
cathalp_vmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No a minimum of 3+3 is required as stated in the VCF on VxRail Architecture guide here on page 73...

https://www.delltechnologies.com/asset/en-us/products/converged-infrastructure/technical-support/vmw...