VMware Communities
perjoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

10.10.2 and Fusion pro 7.1.0 superslow

Hello

I have the a problem with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) 10.10.2 and Fusion pro 7.1.0.

The problems started after i upgraded to 10.10.2 and the windows 7 that run on fusion i slow and some times stop responding.

Someone that have any ide what to do ?

rgds/Per

0 Kudos
48 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  Currently this problem looks like it is related to having a shortcut on your Desktop that points to some sort of a remote server.  Lots of details yet to be filled in, so please do share anything further you can discover with your system there.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
michaelclach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've got aliases to folders in Dropbox and on shared drives, for sure.

0 Kudos
mjhd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I just removed all the content of my desktop (moved to an other folder), so the desktop sharing between host and guest is now working.

Categories of content of my MAcOS (Host) desktop were:

1- SMB shares links

2- plain files

3- MacOS Aliases

4- MacOS mounted external drives (including AFP shares)

5- windows shortcuts

I'm not using any external cloud services, and no such links, except QNAP Qsync running in the background, and its source folder is not on the desktop.

I would be putting back one by one and checking what causes the issue, when I get a bit of time to test.

for now I can live with this workaround, but I'm just putting things in perspective:

"Imagine you have a car and in order for it to work properly, the manufacturer asks you to remove the back seats, to make sure your don't transport any one, otherwise the car would not start :smileymischief:"

If you need  a sanitized copy on my desktop folder, please just ask!

regards,

0 Kudos
xsived
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I can confirm, that the problem has something to do with aliases.

I have an alias to a remote CIFS share (accessible through VPN) on the macOS X Desktop.

Deleting the alias allowed me to re-enable the Desktop mirroring without further issues....

Than I opened she VPN, recreated the aliases, stopped/started Fusion and there was no problem.

After this I unmounted the volume, letting the alias on the desktop, and closed the VPN tunnel.

Went to the Win7 guest and tried to open the explorer. The system stopped responding and the spinning beach ball was back again. After a minute or so, I regained control over my mouse and started the VPN again on the Mac OS X. The windows guest was still hanging. Clicking on the alias (which mounted the remote volume under OS X again) brought the system back to normal state...

I'm not using iCloud, Time Machine or Dropbox.

Hope this helps!

Best regards

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks, xsived.  We've been working hard to understand and solve this problem, and your findings are in very good sync with our own work here, which is very reassuring to know.

Thanks again for everyone's patience with this!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Our internal testing suggests it's likely to be caused by an alias to a remote server or possibly a missing external volume.  Please let us know if you find otherwise.

"Imagine you have a car, and someone overnight had broken into every car of that model and taken out the bolts holding the rear seats, and had replaced them with soggy noodles.  A responsible manufacturer would ask that you not use the rear seats until new bolts could be provided, at no cost."  Smiley Wink

(Yes, that's a terrible analogy.  You get the idea though.)

We believe we have located a defect in OS X 10.10.2 which is causing the problem, and we will soon be filing a bug report with Apple so that they can correct the underlying issue.  At the same time, we are exploring a possible workaround that we can include in Fusion to restore full and normal functionality.

Thanks for your patience,

--

Darius

Message was edited by: Darius Davis: "The responsible" replaced with "A responsible"... Not talking about the ones responsible for the noodle-ification.

0 Kudos
silverstr8p
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disabled hard drive buffering, set nvram, but disabling folder sharing is biggest impact thus far. If I open a Win7 x64 vm, it works relatively normally even if I enable folder sharing, but if I try to access shared file on host Doc/Download/Desktop it suddenly pukes. Interestingly, when I attempted to build a new Win7 VM to troubleshoot, all my desktop information for my old Win7 desktop showed up after I enabled sharing of host doc's etc., very strange.

Model Name:    MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name:    Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:    2.3 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    4

L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

L3 Cache:    6 MB

Memory:    8 GB

Boot ROM Version:    MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system):    2.1f175

System Version:    OS X 10.10.2 (14C109)

Kernel Version:    Darwin 14.1.0

VMWare Fusion: Version 7.1.0 (2314774)

0 Kudos
hamgva
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To all on thread:

I am back alive. The issue arises when you have an alias in a shared folder that point to a drive or remote resource that is not on line. 

Once I removed a link to a no longer used MyCloud instance (you may have more than one of these), I could turn sharing back on and all worked well.

Apparently the combination of the operation systems goes crazy looking for such links, rather than just giving up.

I learned this with the help of VMWare support.  They have a bug report in to Apple and are planning a workaround as well on their own side.

0 Kudos
silverstr8p
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not have remote hosts mapped (i* or otherwise) in my shared directories, but I have to guess Mac is probably doing some linking in there to other resources in other parts of my primary files system. I had Docs/Downloads/Desktop and Music folders shared, now I have reduced that to Docs/Downloads (Downloads assisted with winbox rebuild source files). I also reverted Compatibility > Hardware Version > 11 to 10 and it seemed to have minimal impact. The good news is it forced me to refresh my winbox build Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dasansom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HPReg said:

2) The second only happens in Fusion VMs using Windows guests, and started to happen with Yosemite 10.10.2. It is tracked by this thread. It is being investigated by VMware. As reported by mjhd , in the meantime the workaround is to turn off the Settings > Sharing > Mirrored Folders > Desktop checkbox.

Actually, I don't think this is Windows VM specific.  I am seeing this issue using Linux (ubuntu) VMs.  I don't run any windows VMs but I get the 'beachball' several times a day.  When I get this I see the following in the console, once I get control of the mac back;

Feb 10 11:33:12 <hostname> VMware Fusion[48677]: assertion failed: 14C109: libxpc.dylib + 97940 [876216DC-D5D3-381E-8AF9-49AE464E5107]: 0x89

Feb 10 12:13:13 <hostname> WindowServer[128]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "VMware Fusion" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Turning off shared folders now, jury is still out on whether it's made a difference.  I don't have any network shares on the linux guests.

Edit: FYI;

MBP model is MacBookPro11,2

I am running TimeMachine - I have a USB drive for TimeMachine permanently connected, so it does snapshots regularly.  If disabling shared folders doesn't solve it I'll try turning off TM.

I use DropBox and Box which are under the folder that I was sharing.

Dave

0 Kudos
hamgva
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is not windows specific. It is caused by having a link in a shared folder to an unmounted resource. It keeps trying to build links to things that do not exist. If you can find the dead links ( say to a not reachable remote network drive) and delete them, you can turn sharing back on.

My experience anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

dasansom and hamgva, you are right, the issue is not specific to Windows VMs. We have fixed the issue internally and we will release an update very soon now.

0 Kudos
dasansom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interestingly, I just had another 'freeze' with 3 VMs running, none of which have shared folders enabled. 

I did however have console open and spotted a likely culprit.  Just before the freeze, my TimeMachine started a snapshot backup, this was followed by a series of warnings about the local nfs server not responding.  When the snapshot completes, I get the warning about VMware Fusion UI updates being disabled and then the nfs server is alive.  Normal service is then resumed.

There was another post elsewhere (gestures stop working, Lion 'freezes', NFS serv... | Apple Support Communities) about TimeMachine snapshots causing hanging.  I suspect I've also got this problem or it's simply causing general network issues for Fusion VMs.

I shall turn off TM while I'm working for now.

Dave

0 Kudos
scolain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Macbook Air

Processor 1,7 GHz i7

8 GB

I have the same problem. I have reinstall Fusion 7 yesterday and my Win7 was lightning fast. This morning I woke up the VM and it was sluggish. After reading about the shared folder problem, I have check and uncheck (since it was already uncheck) Desktop in the Mirror folders. Fusion suggested to relog into my win7 session. This seems to have fix the problem for now.

0 Kudos
mrchainsaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same issues here. Not sharing folders/files between Mac and VMs. Soon as I boot, the fans kick on at 5700rpm and the VMs are always slow. I removed Fusion, cleaned the leftover files, and reinstalled and there was no change. I am frustrated and considering downgrading from Yosemite and Fusion 7 to something more stable.

Machine model: MacBookPro11,3

SMC version: 2.19f12

EFI version: MBP112.0138.B14

OS version: 14D72i

Boot arguments: debug=0x10

Boot time: Mon Feb  9 21:14:07 2015

*** Sampled system activity (Wed Feb 11 08:35:36 2015 -0800) (5000.36ms elapsed) ***

****  Interrupt distribution ****

CPU 0:

Vector 0x20(): 0.20 interrupts/sec

Vector 0x46(SMC): 1.40 interrupts/sec

Vector 0x51(HDAU/UPSB/DSB0/NHI0/pci12d8,400f/pci-bridge/ethernet/pci12d8,400f/pci-bridge/ethernet/pci-bridge/pci-bridge/DSB2): 1.00 interrupts/sec

Vector 0x74(XHC1): 28.80 interrupts/sec

Vector 0x77(GFX0): 6.60 interrupts/sec

Vector 0x89(ethernet): 7.80 interrupts/sec

Vector 0x8e(SSD0): 400.37 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 730.95 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 140.99 interrupts/sec

CPU 1:

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 21.80 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 107.99 interrupts/sec

CPU 2:

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 520.56 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 248.58 interrupts/sec

CPU 3:

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 27.80 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 142.19 interrupts/sec

CPU 4:

Vector 0x20(): 0.40 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 533.36 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 186.79 interrupts/sec

CPU 5:

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 23.60 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 143.59 interrupts/sec

CPU 6:

Vector 0x20(): 1.00 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 545.96 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 194.79 interrupts/sec

CPU 7:

Vector 0xdd(TMR): 24.00 interrupts/sec

Vector 0xde(IPI): 151.99 interrupts/sec

*** Sampled system activity (Wed Feb 11 08:35:41 2015 -0800) (5001.26ms elapsed) ***

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

> Soon as I boot, the fans kick on at 5700rpm and the VMs are always slow.

This is a different issue from what this thread is about. Please run Activity Monitor when you hear your fans, and determine which process is consuming all the CPU time. If it happens to be a VMware process, then sample it (there is a Sample button in Activity Monitor) and send the resulting file (which contains the samples) to us. This will tell us where our process is looping like crazy, which will give us a clue as to what is going on.

0 Kudos
mrchainsaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HPReg,

Is there a listing of all known Fusion 7 issues with OSX 10.x

When I review the known issues documentation for Fusion 7 I don't see anything reported that fits many of the issues users are reporting. My organization has over 400+ users with Fusion installed and we are all suffering from issues. Many of us are starting to consider migrating to Linux and VMware Workstation and it seems more stable than Fusion. Sorry if this question is blunt, but, is the issue VMware or Apple?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

> Is there a listing of all known Fusion 7 issues with OSX 10.x

Usually we make such a list in the release notes. So the latest list was for the release notes of Fusion 7.1.

>When I review the known issues documentation for Fusion 7 I don't see anything reported that fits many of the issues users are reporting.

Issues happen in one of two ways:

o Either because we have not tested a configuration in-house. We try to do as much as possible, but the test matrix is explosive (consider the combination of Mac hardware, multiply by the number of guest OSes we support, multiply by the software installed on the host, multiply by the 3rd party hardware installed on the Mac, ...)

o Apple updates their OS and changes some behavior that our software relied on. Sometimes, this is Fusion's fault: we relied on undefined behavior. Sometimes this is Apple's fault: they introduced a bug (this is the case for this particular thread. Apple introduced a bug in 10.10.2, and we had to report the bug to Apple and workaround the issue.)

>My organization has over 400+ users with Fusion installed and we are all suffering from issues. Many of us are starting to consider migrating to Linux and VMware Workstation and it seems more stable than Fusion. Sorry if this question is blunt, but, is the issue VMware or Apple?

It depends on the issue. Workstation gets about the same testing coverage as Fusion in-house. Linux tends to break less things than OS X over time, but is plagued with other issues (like 3rd party kernel module compatibility and compilation, and sub-par graphics device support).

0 Kudos
silverstr8p
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HPReg , thank you so much for the (soon now) patch, quite an impactful issue, glad you're triaging and going to push something soon Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TimNelms
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here with MBP Retina 13" late 2012 running Yosemite 10.10.2 with Windows 7 64 bit  SP1. For me the system starts fine and then performance gradually degrades over a period of hours. For example if I leave the VM booted over night the next morning I have to reboot the whole laptop. In addition starting up a second virtual machine completely kills the Windows 7 one.

Happy to provide logging information for anyone that needs this. But this is a very frustrating issue.

Tim

0 Kudos