VMware Communities
outwest
Contributor
Contributor

64-Bit mode Bugs & XP ?

Snow Leopard 10.6.1, IMac Intel duo core

Updraded from Fusion 2.x to Fusion 3.0, build 204229, VMWareTools 8.2.3, build 204229

• When running Snow Leopard in 32-Bit mode, all seems to work fine but really sluggish (XP on Fusion 2x ran much faster)

• When running Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode:

• VMWare boots fine but:

• Won't boot XP

• Get VMWare Fusion messages:

• "Failed to initialize monitor device"

• "Can't find valid peer process to connect to"

• "Dev / vmmon - no such file or device exists"

• "System extension cannot be used: Apple USBEthernet.kext, installed improperly"

• "System extension cannot be used: vmmon64.kext installed improperly"

I un-installed and re-installed VM Ware Tools (8.2.3 build 204229) but does not help.

I've several earlier problem posts regarding running in 64-bit mode with different story than mine (go figure).

I also read that Fusion 3 has a new routine that uses less memory if XP is newly installed but, won't take advantage of the new approach if inheriting XP from previous Fusion version - I'm thinking of re-installing XP but, that's a good bit of trouble, especially if it won't solve the64-bit problem.

Any recommendations / advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
outwest
Contributor
Contributor

Replying to my own post for others FYI ...

After a good bit of research on the zillions of posts, I found the solution and it WORKed Smiley Happy

The trick is to run the Un-installer that comes with the Fusion package, then, re-install Fusion3. Simply re-installing Fusion doesn't solve the problem - must run the in-install first.

Now running Snow Leopard in 64-bit with Fusion3 and XP - no problems!

0 Kudos