VMware Communities
jpa8r
Contributor
Contributor

Any way to start a .cmd file from menubar or dock?

I have a simple windows .cmd file I need to run often, and it's the only reason I need to keep the annoying Windows taskbar around. I've tried everything I could think of to get it to run either from the new menubar dropdown list or from the dock to no avail. If I run it, and check "keep in dock" only the windows command processor gets kept, not the specific .cmd file; likewise I've had no luck using application settings to add it to the drop down menubar icon list.

I'm using windows xp sp3 and fusion 3.1, but don't think either is particularly relevant to the question.

Any way around this would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
jpa8r
Contributor
Contributor

Alas, that helps with running mac commands from windows, but what I'm trying to do is the reverse. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Joe Allen

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you the Fusion option on where you can access the Start Menu from the OS X menubar? If you do, put a shortcut to the cmd in the Start Menu in Windows and then you can use the Start Menu from the menubar to access it.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Also, you could use vmrun

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vix162_vmrun_command.pdf

you could create a simple shell script that you can save as a file and just double-click.

vmrun -T fusion -gu

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
jpa8r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. It seems like vmrun only wants to run an executable file. I'm only minimally familiar with scripting in either language, so I may be wrong or this may just be over my head, but I appreciate your thoughts.

Joe Allen

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What I would suggest is building an .exe that call's your .cmd file. I have used this bat to exe tool for a number of things.

http://download.cnet.com/Bat-To-Exe-Converter/3000-2069_4-10555897.html

You should be able to make a .bat file that simply calls your .cmd file and then turn it into a .exe using the utility.

Blake

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
jpa8r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Joe Allen

0 Kudos