VMware Communities
batomaru
Contributor
Contributor

Beta 3 impressions

Hello,

I've just been playing with Beta 3, mainly interested in 3D acceleration and the ability to play a few games.

Overall, it's an impressive step forward for virtual machines and I'm happy VMware folks decided to add

the hardware acceleration to their latest offering. Keep up the good work!

Here are a few problems I've ran into:

1) the mouse problem: by default, the mouse behavior is excellent, the smooth transition from the VM to the Mac desktop and vice versa, the mouse is smooth, responsive, etc, as expected. However, when running a game (I've tried Fallout and DeusEx), the mouse is erratic and unusable, it jumps between corners of the screen and it's impossible to do anything. So I tried changing its settings (as mentiond in the release notes)

and that makes a huge difference. However, then, the mouse becomes painfully slow and unresponsive in normal desktop, so it's not the best solution overall. If this was fixed, it'd be excellent.

2) switching to fullscreen actually doesn't switch to fullscreen mode that is specified (e.g. 640x480 or any other) but rather shows a small window on a black background while staying in native Mac desktop mode.

Am I missing something?

Additionally, DeusEx runs fine, but there are all sorts of artifacts, e.g. randomly switched textures (e.g. the cursor will switch to an item textures) and the fog seems broken (it clips to a far plane with a black color).

I'm sure these issues are not so easy to fix (given the DX->OpenGL translation layer going on and having to account for all the idiosyncracies of DirectX API), but I'd like to report this, hopefully this can be fixed some time.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

switching to fullscreen actually doesn't switch to fullscreen mode that is specified (e.g. 640x480 or any other) but rather shows a small window on a black background while staying in native Mac desktop mode. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything; in beta 3, the fit-host-to-guest functionality of Workstation is not present.

Additionally, DeusEx runs fine, but there are all sorts of artifacts, e.g. randomly switched textures (e.g. the cursor will switch to an item textures) and the fog seems broken (it clips to a far plane with a black color).

You should file a bug[/url] about this.

0 Kudos