VMware Communities
kborchert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bootcamp XP install black screen when booting. Normal under regular boot-up

Ok here is an interesting question. I recently installed the latest version of VMWare fusion and everything seemed to be fine. The other day I tried starting bootcamp through Fusion and all I got was a black screen. Nothing seemed to work. I then started Bootcamp the normal way and everything was fine. Has anyone else experienced this or could someone offer some ideas on haw to proceed? Let me know if you need additional information and I can provide.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey kborchert,

I'll guess you've upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4.10. We've released Beta 4.1 (a refresh build) containing USB fixes needed to boot VMs under the new OS.

Please grab the latest upgrade from http://www.vmware.com/mac and let us know if that solves your problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Had you wiped your boot camp partition and reinstalled Windows?

When you started Boot Camp under Fusion, did it show the sheet that told you to wait while it prepared the boot camp partition to run as a virtual machine?

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey kborchert,

I'll guess you've upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4.10. We've released Beta 4.1 (a refresh build) containing USB fixes needed to boot VMs under the new OS.

Please grab the latest upgrade from http://www.vmware.com/mac and let us know if that solves your problem.

0 Kudos
kootkraze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am currently running Fusion 1.0 (50460) and seeing this problem. My disks are setup as follows:

/dev/rdisk0 -- Backup Disk

/dev/rdisk1 -- Mac OS X Disk

/dev/rdisk2 -- (1st partition on here is my Boot Camp install of Windows XP SP2)

I can boot directly into the Boot Camp install from refit but not when running Fusion. It just sits in a blank screen, utilizing the cpu.

Any ideas are appreciated.

0 Kudos
kborchert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All I did to correct my problem was update to the latest Fusion beta. Apparently there was something related to a recent patch to Bootcamp that caused this issue to occur. Updating it should correct it.

Thanks

0 Kudos