VMware Communities
PaulG123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can not open virtual machine - Insufficient permissions to access file

Hi,

I am running VMware Fusion 1.0 on my MacBook Pro. I have 2 user accounts on the MacBook. For one of the users I can access the file and ecerything runs great. For the other user I get the message "insufficient permissions to access file" when I try to open the file. The files are all stored in a folder inside my Users/Shared folder. The permissions for my folder that contains the VMware files and the files all apear to be able to read ad write, owner is system read and write, group is wheel read and write, others is read and write. I have tried running the repair permissions from the disk utility but this did not help.

Can anyone suggest how I can correct this problem? Or even suggest which permission mught be causing the problem?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Any idea as to how I can determine the permission that is failing?

Check the vmware.log in the VM bundle for the name of any specific file(s) the VM is having trouble accessing.

Also try reviewing this thread:

Edited: for typos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A .vmwarevm bundle is really a directory containing files, so to share a VM, you have to change the permissions on the contents of the bundle as well. See : Sharing a Virtual Machine Between Users.

0 Kudos
glibik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have zero experience with VMware Fusion, so am not sure if this applies.

In Workstation and Server a VM can be created as "Private" in which case

only the user account that created it can access it. If the VM is not created

as "Private", then access is determines by filesystem permissions.

Therefore, my suggestion is to check, by whatever means Fusion supports,

if the VM has been created as "Private". If so then change. It may be as

simple as a single entry in the .vmx file. Here's a opportunity for the Fusion

experts on this forum to chime in. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
PaulG123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Etung,

Thanks for the reply. I went back and checked the permissions on the .vmwareevm file and this file is also set with system: r&w, group: r&w, and others: r&w.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to make sure the permissions on files inside the .vmwarevm (e.g. .vmx, .vmdk, etc.) are correct. Ctrl-click the vmwarevm and select Show Package Contents.

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check the vmware.log in the VM bundle for the name of any specific file(s) the VM is having trouble accessing.

Also try reviewing this thread:

Edited: for typos

0 Kudos
PaulG123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to thank each of the respondents for their help. The problem was that the permissions were incorrect inside the packet. With the guidance given here and the reference to the solution link provided I was able to get the share up and running.

Many Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos