VMware Communities
HackaMac
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get past "Start PXE over IPv4"

I'm having trouble creating new VMs from many, but not all distros.  When I try to boot a new VM from an install or live iso, it goes straight to "Start PXE over IPv4".

I had no trouble at all booting Fedora-Workstation-Live-aarch64-37-1.7.iso  and  alpine-standard-3.17.0-aarch64.iso.

However, no other distro that I tried will work, including one that others report success with in another thread: kali-linux-2022.4-installer-arm64.iso or kali-linux-2022.4-live-arm64.iso.  I verified the SHA256 checksums and I've tried many different settings but no luck, including those mentioned by @Technogeezer in the Kali thread.  I don't know what I'm missing or doing wrong, any help would be appreciated.

Mac Studio M1 Max, MacOS Ventura 13.1, VMware Fusion 13.0.0

0 Kudos
21 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@Amy_ wrote:

you have to install some packages via MacPorts and homebrew - but that, you'll see on that link :

You no longer have to install anything from MacPorts or Homebrew, the dependencies are bundled in the zip that @Technogeezer provides.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Amy_ it has been quite a while that user installation of open-source components from MacPorts or Homebrew has been required. If you have material that says so, it is obsolete. The versions of the unofficial guide have reflected this since May 2023.

Also, a new utility CrystalFetch is available on the Mac App Store at zero cost ( built by the authors of UTM). This utility is GUI based and makes it easier than the command line utility to obtain Windows 11 ARM ISO media. The command line utility w11arm_esd2iso still exists for those that would prefer it. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos