VMware Communities
Sam42
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot access VM settings on Fusion 4 (4.1.4) with Mavericks (10.9 DP6) as host

The title pretty much says it all. VMs seem to run just fine in 4.1.4 under 10.9. However, when I try to access the VM settings (Virtual Machines -> Settings), the VM window greys out (as per usual) but the settings window does not drop down from the top of the VM window - it stays 'stuck' there.

I couldn't find this in a search of the forums, so I don't know if this has been asked and answered or if I have some specific issue. I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro. I've tried with and without external displays and with/without the discrete video card (via gfxcardstatus).

Any help would be appreciate - I have no need for the new features of Fusion 6 and would rather save my $50!

6 Replies
Sam42
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so just after posting the above I tried again, but this time I resized the VM window after selecting the Settings menu item. When I did this the Settings menu was rendered in the correct place, and was usable! So, it's not pretty, but at least there's a workaround.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 4 will not support 10.9.  It doesn't even really support 10.8.

0 Kudos
JEstrada
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running it on the GM version of Mavericks.  Finished installing CentOS 6.4 64-bit VM.

UPDATE 10/15/2013: When I created the machine the settings were unavailable on the VM window. What I did is to double-click on the toolbar for the VM and the machine was ready to be powered on, with settings accessible. Hope it helps.  Haven't had any problems but I'm not using it much.  Basically I had the same question as you and had to try it.

0 Kudos
groberts1980
Contributor
Contributor

Sam42 wrote:

OK, so just after posting the above I tried again, but this time I resized the VM window after selecting the Settings menu item. When I did this the Settings menu was rendered in the correct place, and was usable! So, it's not pretty, but at least there's a workaround.

Thank you for posting your success! I just started Googling because I ran into the same problem. A quick window resize does indeed cause the settings to appear. I hate when companies stop supporting newer versions of OS X because they want us to upgrade. Yes I am still using VMWare Fusion 4. No, I don't feel the need to update to Fusion 6.

umiwangu
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the exact same issue, googled it, found your solution, and it worked.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
PioX
Contributor
Contributor

You just need to shutdown the VM and edit the vmx file using text editor in the command line (vi).

0 Kudos