VMware Communities
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

Change resolution in fullscreen mode for external monitor

I am running Fusion 2.0.1 on MBP 2.4 early 2008 with 4 GB ram (1,5 GB for VM), NVidia 8600M GT 256 MB, 3D enabled.

Host OS leopard 10.5.5.

Guest OS is Win XP Professional needed for running Nemetschek Allplan (CAD/BIM software).

Unfortunately Allplan 2008 is not running as smooth as version 2006, it runs optimal only with resolution set to 1280x800. I tried to set resolution for the external monitor (Samsung 215TW) to 1280x800 but I don’t like the result, the image is not clear - I guess it is because the monitor native resolution is 1680x1050.

I would like to change the guest OS resolution to 1280x800 in fullscreen mode, but it is changing back to 1680x1050 instead of stretching the 1280x800 to the whole screen. In windowed mode i can change the resolution but the resulted window is too small ;-).

Is there any way to force the guest to use max resolution 1280x800 in fullscreen?

I did some research and I found this post http://communities.vmware.com/message/549645#549645 but I don‘t know where to insert in the registry the max resolution and if this is the solution.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

My question is so difficult that nobody can‘t give me an answer?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did some research and I found this post http://communities.vmware.com/message/549645#549645 but I don‘t know where to insert in the registry the max resolution and if this is the solution.

Looking at the referenced thread the OP said "I've done the following (as per the "Adding Video Resolution Modes to Windows Guest Operating Systems" technote):" and with that piece of information searching the VMware Knowledge Base for "Adding Video Resolution Modes to Windows Guest Operating Systems" (without the quotes) produced as the top hit Adding Video Resolution Modes to Windows Guest Operating Systems. Even doing a Google Search the top hit led me to the VMware Knowledge Base Article. So how hard is that to do?

As far as editing the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file have a look at the "Where to Find Things" section in .

neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody.

My mistake, I haven't seen "I've done the following (as per the "Adding Video Resolution Modes to Windows Guest Operating Systems" technote):"

I followed the guide but it did not resolved my problem. I was able to select the 1280x800 resolution before this registry modification too. The problem is when I select this resolution in FULLSCREEN, it is changing, first with a thick black border around the window, then is stretching to the whole screen, still keeping 1280x800 resolution, but after a few seconds it is changing back to 1680x1050 to the monitor "optimal" resolution. Could be because of my monitor or my graphic card?

0 Kudos
Ulaval
Contributor
Contributor

Using System Preference - Displays, change display resolution to suite your needs. Then Full Screen your VM !

Et voilà !

Might not be exactly want you want ...

0 Kudos