VMware Communities
GeorgeBB
Contributor
Contributor

DVD Burner in XP under VMware Fusion

I'm running XP under VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro. Whenever I put a blank DVD in the SuperDrive, I get a dialog box saying that a new CD has been inserted. When I tell it I wan't to write to it, it says there was an error. I get the same behavior from XP under Parallels and XP booted from BootCamp.

I read on the VMware web site that DVD burning was supported by Fusion, so I thought it would behave differently than BootCamp or Parallels.

Question: Does Fusion really support burning to a SuperDrive? What do I need to do to make it work?

George

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have DVD burning software in XP? If you can't get it to work under BootCamp, it's pretty unlikely it'll work in Fusion.

0 Kudos
GeorgeBB
Contributor
Contributor

I assumed that DVD burning capability was built into XP from what the people at the Apple Store told me, but I haven't tried this on other machines.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Quick Googling suggests XP doesn't have built-in support for DVD burning.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I assumed that DVD burning capability was built into

XP from what the people at the Apple Store told me,

but I haven't tried this on other machines.

They were incorrect. Windows XP includes CD only burning. To burn a DVD in Windows XP, you would need a third party disc creation solution from Roxio, Nero, or many others.

I believe the Windows Vista Ultimate and some other editions may support DVD burning, but you would have to check.

Pat

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If all you want to do is burn ISO (or UDF, etc) images to disc, download the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit and use the command-line tool DVDBurn (it has a CDBurn analog) to burn the ISO to disc.

0 Kudos
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Though no fault of VMware, Windows support for burning CDs or DVDs without additional software is poor, to put it nicely.

I'd suggest moving your files/images to burn to a shared location in OS X and use OS X's built-in CD and DVD burning features to create your desired CDs or DVDs.

If you insist on burning in XP, CD Burner XP is free and worth a shot: http://wwww.cdburnerxp.se

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed - I find burning under the Mac SOOO much better. The entire treatment of disk images under Mac OS X is much more "this millenia" than Windows.

0 Kudos