VMware Communities
kmoller
Contributor
Contributor

Date on VMSD file different than VMDK file.

Should the dates on vmsd file be different than the vmdk file?  I created a snapshot today.  I then loaded an October snapshot in an effort to remove its applications from Mac OS Finder applications folder.  When I restored to today's snapshot the vmsd file still has Oct date.  The vmdk files have a December date.  I lost some recent data information in certain programs because it thinks it is Oct.  I apologize if this is not making sense but need to recover some important data.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you do not have the User Data backed up of of the Virtual Machine or a backup of the Virtual Machine before modifying it or did not save the current Snapshot while restoring a different Snapshot then you're SOL.

0 Kudos
kmoller
Contributor
Contributor

Before I tried to restore I did take a snapshot of the current (today) window.  After I used the restored (Oct) data, I opened the Snapshot from today to find it was the Oct data.  If the vmdk file is newer is that helpful?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
kmoller
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the file you asked for...any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
kmoller
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have an opportunity to view the .tgz file I sent along?  Is there any hope of recovery?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Ken,

I did look at the .tgz file and couldn't give you just a quick reply and have not had the time to follow up, sorry.  I hope to review it again later tonight or early tomorrow morning and will report what I see and make a suggestion however I wouldn't get your hopes up at least until I detail what I see and what you could try do.   Also because part of the Virtual Machine resided outside of the Virtual Machine Package (the "Kens Laptop.vmdk" virtual disk) I do not have all the details so I may need you to provide additional information.  BTW If you live in the US and would send me your phone number via private message I'd call you as it would probably be easier to explain what I see vs. having to detail it all in writing.

Additionally back in October of last year I told you about the permissions are showing the Owner/Group as _unknown _unknown and it should be kmoller staff and provide you the command syntax to correct it and you didn't. Smiley Wink

Thanks,

Woody

0 Kudos