VMware Communities
bytekeeper
Contributor
Contributor

Does 3.0 work with expose in unity mode or still doesn't?

Hi chaps,

I'm just trying to convince myself to buy 3.0 and want to understand whether the old good 2.x unity+expose

bug is addressed in 3.0 or still there. Namely, I'm talking about the problem in expose when all unity

windows show same screenshot of the topmost app window. To replicate, simply maximize two or more

guest apps while in unity mode and then go to expose screen. If the bug is still there all unity windows

will show same screenshot of the topmost window and if the bug is fixed each unity window

will show its own correct screenshot as expected.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ruske
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's still an issue that VMWare says they are going to fix.

0 Kudos
matthewtoney
Contributor
Contributor

Same bug/problem is still there unfortunately

0 Kudos
bytekeeper
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. Thats totally sad but expected. A ton of new marketing features added but basic things

(check coherence in || for instance) are still not working Smiley Sad I see no reason in paying extra for the upgrade then,

going to delay the upgrade until fixed.

0 Kudos
matthewtoney
Contributor
Contributor

It's more than sad it's just lame. I've been using their stuff since 2001 and recommend it all the time to people but I swear I may have to stop the recommendations at least. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mmueck
Contributor
Contributor

Please add me to the list of people who are truly ticked off by this very prominent and long standing bug not being fixed :-(.

Is anybody out there familiar with the Parallels software (both current version and new version beta) and its capabilities in this regard?

0 Kudos
bytekeeper
Contributor
Contributor

yup, ||s have this feature working from the beginning ... I personally can't live w/o expose

(oh come on vmware, cmd + tab is so ... mmm... uncomfortable) and thanks to this bug

my fusion 2.0 is on the shelf since day one. I wish I knew about the bug before

buying it but at least I'm prepped with 3.0 now. No expose = no deal. Saved me

a few quid actually.

What is bugging me really is the problem is there for at least two or three

years now and has been reported a gazillion of times and still all you

get in response is "VMware policy is to not comment on bug fixing, future

releases etc" leaving you with nothing but to look at the competing products.

0 Kudos
mmueck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I placed my order for parallels today.

Any space on your shelf for my copy of fusion :-).

0 Kudos
KieranK
Contributor
Contributor

I also won't be upgrading until this Expose issue is fixed. I seem to recall them making comments in other posts about the technical reasons in Windows for why it isn't possible - but it's obviously to do with Fusion's implementation of Expose/Unity, not with Windows - as it works perfectly in Parallels 5 with an XP VM.

I consider this basic functionality that should have been implemented by the third major release.

0 Kudos