VMware Communities
LilBang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

During Installation Fusion 8 could not find the Win 10 USB installation disk?

I am attempting to install fusion 8 on a MBP (Mid 2015) using OS X El Capitan v 10.11 to install Win10 as guest from a Newly purchased Windows 10 Home version USB.

When I inserted the USB dongle I was asked if I wanted to install it in Mac or Win 10. I answered Win 10??

I failed to insert the USB in the computers' USB port before the time ran out (again I have no installation instructions) and the following screen showed:

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 2.42.37 PM.png

Then with the USB dongle inserted I re tried the installation by choosing<enter>

I am getting the same message.

Is there a way to get the program to recognize Win10 program and install it?

I cannot check the startup disk in the virtual Machine settings because I do not know where they are.

Does one let Fusion8 make the partition which was chosen at 60 GB and then install the Windows operating system?

and is there an installation instructions for this process? The reason I ask  is that I am afraid of making wrong choices so I am reading the language very carefully and it is going slowly. I would rather read and know what to expect and make all my decisions NOT under the gun so to speak.

I just purchased they software yesterday, do I have free phone support to help installation if needed or is it all pay per incident?

Thanks for any help,

LilBang

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Refer to http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101540...

To use Apple's built-in Disk Utility to create a .cdr image of the install disk:

1. Use Finder to launch Disk Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities ).
  2. Insert the Windows install disk.
  3. In the left column, click the Apple Super Drive, then click New Image.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select DVD/CD Master.
  5. Take note of where the document is being saved, then click Save. The CD/DVD begins to convert. This can take several minutes depending on the size of the disk. A progress indicator displays the progress.
  6. When the process completes, quit Disk Utility.

Then follow below KB to install your Windows 10.

VMware KB: Installing Windows in a virtual machine using VMware Fusion Easy Install

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Refer to http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101540...

To use Apple's built-in Disk Utility to create a .cdr image of the install disk:

1. Use Finder to launch Disk Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities ).
  2. Insert the Windows install disk.
  3. In the left column, click the Apple Super Drive, then click New Image.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select DVD/CD Master.
  5. Take note of where the document is being saved, then click Save. The CD/DVD begins to convert. This can take several minutes depending on the size of the disk. A progress indicator displays the progress.
  6. When the process completes, quit Disk Utility.

Then follow below KB to install your Windows 10.

VMware KB: Installing Windows in a virtual machine using VMware Fusion Easy Install

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello LilBang,

If you bought Fusion then support is included, but I do not know if it includes end user support (your question is an end user question, not a product issue).

When you plugin the USB dongle it can be attached to either your host OS (OS X) or directly to the Virtual Machine (Win10) this is why it asked the question.

I'm not sure if boot from USB works out of the box with Fusion 8 nowadays, the steps that Tim refers to are using a CD image, like the ones you can download via:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Some nice steps on how-to install are available at:

http://www.mikeroysoft.com/windows-10-and-vmware-fusion/

PS: As long as you are in OS X it is very difficult to make a dangerous mistake with installing Windows 10 within Fusion (I can't come up with one, but I admit that it might be a lack of my imagination).

edit: Rereading Tim's reply I see he tells you to change your USB media into a CD image, which might be the better solution as downloading the ISO. It depends on if MS sells the same version via USB as it lets you download or not.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
LilBang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You both; tliugogo and will. The links were helpful and the advice. I am up and running Win10 on my iMac and MBP.

Appreciate the help. Phone support indicated MS fooled the programmers by choosing to put Win10 out on USB instead of Disk.

0 Kudos
LilBang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You both; tliugogo and will. The links were helpful and the advice. I am up and running Win10 on my iMac and MBP.

Appreciate the help. Phone support indicated MS fooled the programmers by choosing to put Win10 out on USB instead of Disk.

0 Kudos