VMware Communities
Pete987
Contributor
Contributor

Error/Cant boot VM after 2.0.5 - 2.0.6

I foolishly upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6 this morning and ever since i cant boot my recently created VM. I made this VM in 2.0.5. The VM is xpsp2

The error I get is;

"Cannot open the Disk diskname or one of the snapshots it depends on

Reason: The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created"

I made a copy of everything befoe i began troubleshooting.

I tried some tips online that suggested making changes to the vmx file but none have helped.

What is the procedure to get my VM working? I wouldnt mind re installing 2.0.5 but of course i dont have a copy of the software, is this a good idea and where could i get it from?

I have an old VM i restored from backup and it runs fine. Something i notice thats differentbetween the broken one and the working one. The broken one al;l of the file are inside a 'package'? So i have to right click and Show Package Content to be able to see the files. My old VM has a folder full of files. I dont know if this is significant.

I have attached the latest log which i hope helps some one help me Smiley Happy http://sharesend.com/oe2k9

Appreciate any tips, getting pretty desperate.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pete987
Contributor
Contributor

I downgraded to Fusion 2.0.5 and it didnt help Smiley Sad

I should have added above i am running 10.5.8

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Found a very interesting line in the vm.log.rtf (vmware.log) file which you should just archive and attach directly to a post not turn into a Rich Text Document and upload to a septate service.

ide1:0.fileName = /Users/pete/Downloads/WXPOEM_SP2EN.dmg\

Since Microsoft usually distributes Windows as an ISO not a DMG and it's in your Downloads folder it certainly gives the appearance that you've download an illegal copy of Windows. Now I'm not saying you did and just that it gives the appearance and as such not inclined to offer help under the circumstances.

Also OEM distributions are for use by OEM's and or System Builders and are then to be distributed to a reseller or a customer and not installed by an individual for individual use.

0 Kudos
Pete987
Contributor
Contributor

I have a DMG because i made it from the volume licensing copy of the media we have a huge volume licensing for. I do not share it or the key with anyone, because it doesnt belong to me it belong to my employer. I made the DMG because i had to install windows twice recently.

Every forum has different expectations, most people prefer attrachments for logs rather thn massive posts of log entries - cant win. But i think it does show i was thinking about it abnd trying to be considerate!

I was kinda hoping to get some tips from the gurus on this problem? I have found http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk/vmdk-when-its-too-late.html but of course i ahd already done almost everything he says not to. So i will restore from backup an wait for some further advice, hopefully :smileygrin: .

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have a DMG because i made it from the volume licensing copy of the media we have a huge volume licensing for. I do not share it or the key with anyone, because it doesnt belong to me it belong to my employer. I made the DMG because i had to install windows twice recently.

Like I said "Now I'm not saying you did and just that it gives the appearance..."

Every forum has different expectations, most people prefer attrachments for logs rather thn massive posts of log entries - cant win. But i think it does show i was thinking about it abnd trying to be considerate!

I agree attachments are better then duping the content of a log into the body of a post and just below the text box when starting a thread or writing a post or reply one can Attach Files and it is preferred that they be archived as some users have to pay for bandwidth usage.

I was kinda hoping to get some tips from the gurus on this problem? I have found but of course i ahd already done almost everything he says not to. So i will restore from backup an wait for some further advice, hopefully :smileygrin: .

Well it might be helpful to know how you managed to modify the base disk and how much you modified it and not saying that you can recover but it might just be easier to move one with a new one or use the base disk to create another one. Anyway you'd have to provide a lot more information for someone to specifically help and in the end there no guarantee it would work but the .vmsd file would need to be modified so the VM would think the parent virtual disk has not been modified since the child was created but I would never depend on that VM again and would just either restore from backup of use the base disk (parent disk) to create a new VM and move on. This of course assumes you've been backing up user data outside of the VM as a separate backup to the VM itself and do not need to recover an data. If you need to recover data then that's a different story.

For anyone that has the time to help they are going to need a file listing of the Virtual Machine Package and the .vmx, .log and .vmsd from within the package. Have a look at and also one of the best ways to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop and then all you'd need in addition to that is the file listing as described in the linked document.

0 Kudos
Pete987
Contributor
Contributor

I didnt modify the base at all. I stutdown the VM, backed it up (the entire machine) using CCC to an external drive. I downloaded and install 2.0.6 and then tried to start my machine. then i got this error. I went to my backup and copied the directory containting my VM back to my computer and the same problem existed. So i tried a number of thing with the VM, none worked, so i restored from backup again and downgrade to 2.0.5, still same problem.

If i can mount the disk and grab a few files i will just build a new VM and not try and use snapshots ever again. If its not going to be reliable then i am not interested in fixing it.

I am pretty annoyed that this happens though. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos