VMware Communities
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

FUSION PERFORMANCE

Hello members

I like to buy a Macbook pro(so far I have been using windows only). As I work with CAD I need to have Windows XP PRO also installed.

Now: Can I use FUSION to install XP PRO. Would it handle my CAD and Office in a good performing manner. How well would it run? Is it a CPU hog? Has anyone experiences to shear?

As I work with CAD a lot I am dependant on its performance!

For any replies that would help me, many thanks in advance.

NT

0 Kudos
13 Replies
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using Rhino in Windows and it's fine running in Fusion on my MBP. With a desktop system it has to be even better. To be honest I was rather shocked that Rhino runs as well as it does - both v. 3 and v. 4. Calculations and renderings are not different than running native Windows. I'm using a mouse for an input device so if you have a tablet of some kind that should also be a consideration and you may want to do a compatibility check. In any event Fusion beta is free to try out and uninstalls cleanly.

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

dp_fusion

Thanks for that!

The idea is that I want to get a good picture of how well it does before I buy the MBP."With a desktop system it has to be even better"_ I don't quite get what you mean by your comment?

So the speed is good? And how is the memory keeping up?

And you think it could run office and CAD without a trouble?

NT

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Well....I guess it is still too early to determine the final performance. VMware is still in Beta stage and despite that the debug code can be disabled it does not necessarely mean that all of the code is already optimized for performance. This kind of optimization is usually done when it gets closer to the release candidates.

having said all of this, the performance of Fusion is already quite usable. Have not tried it with CAD application though. Some people still experience different results while measuring performance with Fusion and competitive products. So, your mileage will actually vary once you get your MacBook Pro.

Since it sounds you are using Windows more or less exclusively, there is probably a second option....using Boot Camp. It allows yoou to run Windows natively on Apple hardware and thus you will find no performance loss whatsoever.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The MacBook Pro disk is rather slow compared to non-laptop machines, and cpu speed is constantly changing owing to temperature in the laptop. These are not limitations in the desktop systems. Also - if all the CAD libraries are on a second drive it could improve performance even more. My end interest is to drive CNC machinery with Fusion powered software on my MBP but I haven't gotten that far in my testing yet.

I'm very pleased with the performance so far and all the software and hardware I need and use work very well. I'm looking forward to the released product.

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

Andreas,Thanks

The drawback with bootcamp is that you can browse back and forward on the same desktop(so no need to switch at booting time), is that right?

From what you are saying (the performance of Fusion is already quite usable) it may be better to wait a while. Quite usable means it has to go a bit further, or not?

If I would go this way(MBP) then I would have to rely 100% on it for work! The idea being that I take it to the office and if I like to work from home for a day or two, that I can do that.

Part of me wanting a MBP (instead of other laptops) is the convincing performance of my friends machine

Have you been using Boot Camp?

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

dp_fusion

Thanks

"The MacBook Pro disk is rather slow compared to non-laptop machines"

So in speed and performance, how much is it "behind" a good desktop machine?

Would and could you recommend to go fully this way(MBP)? Rely 100% on the laptop with fusion?

What is actualy the difference between fusion and VmWare workstation, is it just the MAC version of the latter?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

The drawback with bootcamp is that you can browse

back and forward on the same desktop(so no need to

switch at booting time), is that right?

Yes...that is the drawback...it requires a reboot once you want to use the other operating system. However, from what I understand you are pretty much working in Windows all the time. That is why I suggested Boot Camp.

From what you are saying (the performance of Fusion

is already quite usable) it may be better to wait a

while. Quite usable means it has to go a bit further,

or not?

This is of course debatable. I know many people who simply use Fusion already in a production environment without any issues. Having said this, if you browse the forum, you will find topics indicating how fast Fusion is since the latest release. At the same time, you will find people that actually indicate the opposite. This kind of of two sides may even persists with the release version since the virtualization is pretty complex. There always may be new devices that will not work right out of the box or slow down the whole VM. The only inidication is always your own opinion looking at the applications you intend to run.

I guess, you will be pretty fine with the performance but of course I do not know.

If I would go this way(MBP) then I would have to rely

100% on it for work! The idea being that I take it to

the office and if I like to work from home for a day

or two, that I can do that.

Let me put it this way. I was in for a replacement of my business laptop last year and I actually decided to go with the Apple one since I just like the design and overall feel much better. However, I am working for a company that is more or less 100% Windows only (except some Linux). So...may be that helps.

Part of me wanting a MBP (instead of other laptops)

is the convincing performance of my friends machine

Have you been using Boot Camp?

I actually using Boot Camp if I need the native performance. As the same time I am using Fusion since I actually like to use my mail/browser in Mac OS X.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is actualy the difference between fusion and VmWare workstation

Aside from Fusion being for Mac and Workstation being for Windows/Linux, the difference is that Fusion is targeted at the consumer market, whereas Workstation is for developers. The final feature set of Fusion has not been announced (VMware has a policy of not pre-announcing things), but some things that are in Workstation 6 but not currently in Fusion are: multiple snapshots, teams, record/replay, multimonitor, console-only mode, IDE integration, and more.

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

Andreas

This answer is just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for your effort[/b], very good work!!!

So If things work out allright with the machines(business may merger) I will most likely go MAC.

I will also keep an eye out to see what is developing.

Thanks a lot

NT

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

etung

Also many thanks for your explanation.

Regards

NT

0 Kudos
JMartin
Contributor
Contributor

I own a Macbook Pro C2D. I am an architect, and this is my main computer, you can use it to do all the heavy stuff like renders or 3d without problem. The heat is there, but we can deal with it, with a cooling base is enough. If you are going to purchase a MBP take the smaller but faster hard disk.

\----

Respect the Vmware thing, I have already post in other thread: Vista x64 on bootcamp versus XP x64 on Fusion.

Vista loads a lot of useless garbage, if you disable it autocad x64 and cinema 4d run fine

With vmware you only notice the change when loading files or rendering, for the day-to-day work is far enough. You also can run Microstation (thanks to directx emulation)

-

I think it is important the x64, when you work with large files the time you save is amazing

For a best performance set Fusion to use the 2 cores and 1GB of physical ram

(excuse my english I am not native)

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

JMartin

Thanks for your reply! Don't worry about the english, I am not a native(english) speaker either.

Both of us do obviously the same sort of work, except I work on Windows PC.

Sounds like the Xp x64 version is the way to go if installing on Fusion?

Some of the time I do work with Illustrator and Photoshop, would that setup in Fusion handle graphics ok? I do notice with Parallels that the CPU has to work hard(P4, 2Gb ram). Is it the same with your setup? Is heat not a contributing factor for a faster ageing of the machine?

As for a standard MAC

Is there a posibility to have the file of the VM on a separate drive and so I could take it back and forward if I would choose a tower? And on either end I would just work in VM with an external drive?

Reagards

NT

0 Kudos
JMartin
Contributor
Contributor

The better performance with x64 OSes is only with x64 apps like autocad 2008, 32-bit apps run as usual. If you do not work with 64-bit apps I think xp SP2 is your choice.

If you are going to purchase a Mac, think in mac programs. If you have a windows license you will pay twice, but if you are looking for performance... Smiley Wink

The programs we lack in mac for architecture is Autocad and Microstation (the two standard), and that is the reason I use VM. As I said for rendering or heavy stuff is better Cinema 4d, native Mac OS.

The heat. It is hard to explain, when I draw in autocad (WM), the processor graphic is like peaks and downs, even zooming and rotaing 3d. Rendering use 100% but on Cinema (OS) takes half time than WM.

How much time are you expecting for your computer life? I think mine will be obsolete before I notice changes on performance due to heat.

0 Kudos