VMware Communities
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0 and Bridged network connection problem

Hi Everyone,

I have installed fusion 2.0 on my macbook (Leopard) and then tried to create a another VM (OS X server) which is working okay. Then later I found out that my new vm is connected as NAT then I changed settings to bridged mode and since then I am unable to get any ip address from bridged mode. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did you change from NAT to Bridged while the VM was running? If so that explains it because you need to release/renew the IP Address if doing that while running so either do that or reboot the VM.

0 Kudos
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried rebooting the VM and still unable to get new ip address.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have other Virtual Machines and if so are they able to get an IP Address when using Bridged?

0 Kudos
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I do have xp vm and just booted and it is getting proper ip thru brigded mode. Yesterday, I have created a OSX server VM and it had proper IP address while conneced thru briged mode but then my macbook froze and I have to shut it down (using the power button) and that was it for that VM and it was unable to recover from that point. So today i have installed xserve again on the new vm and now I am facing network problem.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well it's a know fact that preforming an illegal shutdown can trash a system, physical or virtual, and how bad it can/will be is a throw of the dice. Now I know you may have had no other choice however it is what it is and as such I'd start by running the usual diagnostic utilities on the Host to make sure it's okay and then do the same on the Guest. You may also want to uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion to see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what other people have said, some wireless access points only give out one IP per physical NIC; if you're using wireless with one of these access points, you might not be able to use Bridged mode. There's nothing we can do in this case.

0 Kudos
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

I am not using wireless, it is wired connection. windows xp vm will get proper ip address but not the xserve one.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Preforming the illegal shutdown has obviously corrupted something and you're going to have to run the appropriate diagnostic utilities on both the Host and in the Guest to try and rectify this issue. You may also want to uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion to see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

So I have completely uninstalled Fusion (even deleted all the files related to fusion and empty the trash bin) and rebooted the Macbook. Then reinstalled Fusion with default setup options and then rebooted again. Still unable to get an ip address while connected to briged mode. Any other suggestion?

BTW: can anyone tell me if I can install MAC OS X server under VMware workstation 6.5 without any hack?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So I have completely uninstalled Fusion (even deleted all the files related to fusion and empty the trash bin) and rebooted the Macbook. Then reinstalled Fusion with default setup options and then rebooted again. Still unable to get an ip address while connected to briged mode. Any other suggestion?

Have you tried anything other then just uninstalling/reinstalling Fusion? Have you run any diagnostic utilities on the Host or in the Guest?

BTW: can anyone tell me if I can install MAC OS X server under VMware workstation 6.5 without any hack?

No

0 Kudos
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried releasing and renewing ip thru the command line and thru the GUI interface but other than that I have not tried anything else. What else do you think that I should run on my host and vm?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
rsharma
Contributor
Contributor

I have just checked my XP vm and now it will not get an ip address under bridged mode either.

0 Kudos