VMware Communities
riques
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 3.1 / Win7 64 bit crashes accessing shared folders - had to downgrade to fix - any suggestions, fixes?

Hello,

Although I wish it were faster, Fusion 3.0 has always been very stable - one of the reasons I far prefer Fusion to Parallels. With the latest release, that record of stability has to be set aside - at least for now (until fixed). I have tried to install 3.1 several times - each time, accessing a shared folder will inevitably result in a BSOD with the message displayed that "Windows has shut down to protect your computer" and an error message (in all caps) of "multiple_irp_complete_requests".

Uninstalling 3.1 and then re-installing 3.0.1 (followed by 3.0.2) resolves the issue every time. Clearly, this is caused by 3.1

I would love to use this newer, supposedly faster version of Fusion, but not at the expense of reliable access to shared folders.

Any hints? Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

-- Rique

0 Kudos
6 Replies
riques
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

This is unresolved - and apparently, I'm in the wilderness on this.

I tried these other suggestions made on another thread and did not have success - I set the processors to one instead of two, and limited sharing to one folder (however, that folder contained nested folders, which is important to my workflow).

I was able to reproduce the BSOD every time. It could easily be reproduced by opening folders nested within my shared folder - sometimes, it would happen after opening just a few folders, other times it would happen after opening a lot of folders - 15 or 20 (by the way, I am not leaving the folders open - I am merely opening, then closing, the folders).

Uninstalling 3.1 - and the associated VMWare tools - and then reinstalling 3.01 - followed by 3.02 - resolves the issue every time. And I can set the guest to 2 cores (which never caused an issue before).

Does vmware monitor this forum? I've not received a response on this thread. What is the best way to get vmware involved? - since they don't seem to have any interest in responding to issues in this forum.

Thanks,

-- Rique

0 Kudos
garaden
Contributor
Contributor

I can't help you here, but perhaps you could file a support request with VMware? Depending on when you upgraded, you may be able to obtain complimentary phone or email support.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware does monitor this forum. We definitely want feedback from our users.

Can you file a support request? You'll be asked to supply the vmware.log and the guest MEMORY.DMP of the BSOD.

0 Kudos
Diddoo
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here too.

32 bit Windows 7 was working fine under bootcamp and VMware 3.1 was accessing it well

reinstalled bootcamp as Win7 64 bit and now Fusion crashed to BSOD just after the swirling colours on the windows startup.

runs fine as a bootcamp load, just not under Fusion.

nothing special installed. bare windows install with Anti virus. and boot camp drivers.

0 Kudos
VivekJ2
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into the same issue.

Upgraded Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro.

It runs fine in Boot Camp. Running it in VMWare Fusion resulted in a BSOD a couple of seconds after the swirling colors started.

I rebooted into Boot Camp and uninstalled VMWare Tools, since those were left over from the Vista install. That didn't help.

Boot Camp drivers are currently installed. I'm going to try removing them to see if that has an effect.

In the mean time, the Technical Information in the BSOD is:

• STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009a9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

0 Kudos
VivekJ2
Contributor
Contributor

Deleting the boot camp virtual machine (without affecting the actual partition) and re-creating it according to the instructions at the link below fixed the problem.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/200649

0 Kudos