VMware Communities
JuanCvm
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6.0.3 and Windows 8.1 performance

I have a MacBook Pro using Fusion 6.0.3 and two almost identical virtual machines, one with Windows 8.0 and the other one upgraded to 8.1, both machines share a second virtual hard drive where most of the data is stored (only one VM is on at a time). They both have the same amount of RAM (4GB), same number of processors (4)

The same process (an internal app that makes heavy disk use) that takes around 50 seconds in 8.0, takes about 1.7 minutes in 8.1

In a previous test (don't have the VM anymore) I remember working around the problem by setting hard disk buffering to disabled in the Advanced settings but with the new VM I tried all three possible settings (Auto, Enabled, Disabled) with no difference in performance.

Is there any pending Fusion update that will fix this issue? I have seen other threads pointing to poor disk performance as soon as a VM is upgraded from 8 to 8.1

Regards,

JuanC

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

4 cores is too many on a MacBook Pro - you're starving the host for resources (there are only 4 cores in the machine).  Reduce it to 2 or 3 cords and it should solve the problem.

0 Kudos
JuanCvm
Contributor
Contributor

My MBP (retina) has 8 cores.

I fixed an issue with the 8.1 environment, and now performance is closer to 8.0 but still slower (around 15% slower). This is consistent on both native Win32 apps as well as .NET based apps

JuanC

0 Kudos