VMware Communities
JohnTheos
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Pro 11 won't add my existing VMs (Mojave)

Against my better judgement I updated to Mojave (and the update went poorly, yet here I am).

I launched Fusion Pro and all that was listed where two external ESXi connections (I had about 11 VMs on this iMac previously).   I have tried importing the VMs but when click import and navigate to the directory all the VMs are greyed out (permission issue??)

If however I double click on the VM itself (from the finder window), the VMs will start and I can do my work.

This is kind of irritating that I can't have my library as it was - anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

The File -> import function is not for opening your VMs from an earlier Fusion release. Import is only to be used to import virtual machines from another virtualisation product or from VMs saved in the open format OVF.

Snippet from the help:

Fusion can import virtual machines created with Parallels, Microsoft Virtual PC, or OVF.

That's why the VMs show up greyed out.

The proper way to open your VMs in the Library is to use File -> Open or even File -> "Open and Run".

Normally installing a newer version of Fusion does not remove the list of VMs in the library. So that's a bit weird.

The library itself is composed of the contents in two files.

The non shared VMs are listed here:

~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmInventory

and the shared VMs can be found in:

/Library/Application Support/VMware/VMware Fusion/Shared/vmInventory

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JohnTheos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thank you for the info - it turns out I could open some of the VM's but not all of them and even when I opened them they refused to show up in the Library <shrug>

I think the issue was Mojave - the install went sideways and caused a lot of grief - I'm back to High Sierra and everything is working as expected.

0 Kudos