VMware Communities
f_5
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Pro 13.5 No bridged interface network sniffing possible from VM-incompatibility to Workstatio

Hi,

using Fusion Pro 13.5 on MacOS Ventura (Intel processor) I realised that it is not possible to see the traffic between a VM and physical equipment on a second VM using the same bridged ethernet network interface. This works flawlessly using VMWare Windows Workstation, but not using Fusion Pro 13.5.

It seems that in contrast to VMWare Windows Workstation in Fusion the virtual bridge does not forward all traffic going in or out the physical interface to all virtual network cards attached to the virtual bridge.

In Fusion the bridge is created automatically using the following settings:

bridge102: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>

ether 3e:22:fb:69:58:16 

Configuration:

id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0

maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200

root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0

ipfilter disabled flags 0x0

member: en19 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>

ifmaxaddr 0 port 15 priority 0 path cost 0

member: vmenet4 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>

ifmaxaddr 0 port 30 priority 0 path cost 0

member: vmenet6 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>

ifmaxaddr 0 port 33 priority 0 path cost 0

media: autoselect

The individual virtual interfaces for the two VMs are as following:

vmenet4: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether e6:52:ba:80:b5:b6 

vmenet6: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether f6:3e:9c:3c:6e:b2 

My question:

Is there a way either automatically or manually to achieve the same behaviour that is provided in VMWare Workstation on Windows in Fusion Pro 13.5? Since this breaks compatibility between Fusion and Windows Workstation running the same VM setups this is a big issue for me.

Note:
Sniffing network traffic on the host is not a solution since one of VM is specifically build to analyse the network traffic as it occurs live and it does not resolve the compatibility issue with the same setup in VMWare Workstation for Windows.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's been a while, but I believe that Workstation and Fusion no longer use the same network stack code, so that might be part of what you're seeing.  Are you running Fusion Pro?

0 Kudos
f_5
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I run Fusion Pro 13.5. Even if the network stack code changed, VMWare should provide an option to allow running the same setup on Windows Workstation and Fusion Pro achieving the same results. Even if that would mean to set something in addition on Fusion Pro. The provided network functionality features need to be the same otherwise it is a hope and pray situation which VMWare VMWare Desktop Hypervisor is used by the other person. For the time being I would be happy if I would get a manual workaround allowing to make the bridge interface for Fusion Pro behave the same as on Windows Workstation allowing sniffing the traffic from a VM.

0 Kudos