VMware Communities
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Window Enters Weird State

I'm using Spaces and I've assigned Fusion to a particular Space. Every now and then, when I switch to Fusion's Space, the window is in a weird unusable state (screenshot attached). Pausing and Resuming the Virtual Machine fixes things. My VM is Windows 2000.

Any idea what's happening?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
cbrew325
Contributor
Contributor

I also use Spaces and have noticed the same problem. For me it usually happens if I've used Fast User switching to return to the login window. Then when I return to my computer, it looks like the picture you posted.

I can usually restore my VM by puting windows to sleep and then turning it back on.

jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

You're right! Fast User Switching definitely has something to do with it.

Any comments from the mothership?

0 Kudos
cbrew325
Contributor
Contributor

It didn't happen in 1.1.3 for what thats worth. Its nice to know it's not just me...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No comments yet. Are both Spaces and Fast User Switching required to reproduce this? How often/quickly does it happen? What type of Mac do you have, and what video card?

0 Kudos
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

I can reproduce the issue on my machine thusly:

1. Log in with my account (Admisistrative). Fusion is assigned to Space 3 out of 6 (3 wide x 2 high).

2. Start Windows 2000 in Fusion.

3. Fast Switch to log into my wife's account (Limited Account).

4. Fast Switch back to my account (re-entering password).

5. When my desktop rotates into view, the Fusion window is black.

Mac Mini 1.66Mhz Dual Core; 10.5.5

0 Kudos
cbrew325
Contributor
Contributor

My problem can be reproduced by using fast user switching to go to the login window. Then when I log back in Fusion is often black. It does not happen every time.

I am running OS 10.5.5 on a MacBook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo w/ NVidia 8600M GT.

0 Kudos
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

This issue is still present in 2.0.1, but it's nothing more than a screen refresh issue. I can get the window to return to its normal state by simply clicking on the the little widget in the top right corner of the window that shows/hides the toolbar.

0 Kudos
batcave
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using version 2.0.3, but I'm still having a very similar problem.

When I leave my workstation, I click on the "Login Window..." menu option under the fast user switching menu in OS X. (I'm running the latest version of Leopard and I uses Spaces heavily) I leave the virtual machine running when I do this.

About 50% of the time when I come back, I can log in, but then my keyboard is completely messed up. Its like the keyboard mapping has been changed to some foreign language. Also the virtual machine is completely unresponsive. I have to quit Fusion. A few seconds after it quits, my keyboard goes back to normal and I can restart it and continue my work.

But it is REALLY annoying!!

0 Kudos