VMware Communities
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion - running a Lion client, upgraded to ML - now won't boot

I had a super clean Lion client running in Fusion with no problems. I had one app installed in it and that's it. I installed ML on it (its a developer image that I use for specific purposes) and now it won't boot. I do have a backup, but any ideas why?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I miss read your OP, I though your were trying to virtualize Mac OS X Lion under OS X Mountain Lion and that is not allow by its SLA.

So anyway you had a working Mac OS X Lion Virtual Machine and it stopped working when you upgraded the Virtual Machine to OS X Mountain Lion, is that correct?  What version of VMware Fusion are you using and what version of OS X is the Host running?

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apology accepted. Sorry for getting a bit brittle. I am running ML GM release. Yes, you are correct. Upon upgrade it just kernel panics. I am running

Version 4.1.3 (730298).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Were VMware Tools from the Mac OS X Lion still installed or did you remove then before upgrading in the Virtual Machine?

Also have you tried using the VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2012 as it has better support for OS X Mountain Lion both as a Host and as a Guest?

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not remove the tools. I can try that. As for the Tech Preview, I didn't see that. I'll try it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

IIRC There were some issues with VMware Tools being installed in the past during a upgrade of OS X in a Virtual Machine and they needed to be uninstalled before the upgrade.  I do not remember if this was isolated to certain scenarios but do remember it working for some of us so certainly give that a try.  As far as the Tech Preview, being a developer I know you know the usual caveats however, have a look at To configure VMware Fusion 4.x to run alongside the VMware Fusion Technology Preview on the What's New page.

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I took a look. I usually try to keep dev previews away from me because of I can only deal with so many betas at once Smiley Happy But i will certainly look into it.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

We've seen this several times.  You migth be able to get into the recovery partition in the VM and set the startup disk to the right volume.

What you can do is this:

1) Create a new VM for ML (don't install yet)

2) Customize it and add the Lion VM disk

3) Install ML, and then use the migration wizard (pick 'from another disk')

4) Shut down the complete VM and remove the Lion disk.

That works.

0 Kudos