VMware Communities
mcmciis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to downgrade a virtual machine

Is there a way to downgrade a virtual machine that had previously been updated by the application to open/function on VM13? At this time, I only have access to a MacBook pro running Mojave and the latest VM application that will run in that environment is apparently 11.5.5. The built-in help tells me that in order to open/run this virtual machine, it must first be opened in the latest VM software and then be "downgraded", which, for the reasons noted above, does not appear to me as an available option. What workarounds are there for instances such as this? thanks in advance for your time in considering!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try the following (make sure that you have a backup of the original virtual machine before you try any of this).

This assumes that your virtual machine's guest operating system is supported by Fusion 11.5.5.

Create a new custom virtual machine with Fusion 11.5.5 on Mojave

After specifying the virtual machine type, you;; be asked for the virtual disks. Opt to use an existing virtual disk, and navigate to the VMDK file of your original virtual machine located in its "bundle" folder. Choose the file with the .vmdk extension that does not contain anything extra such as -s001.vmdk .Select it and opt to make a copy of the virtual disk.

At the final dialog, choose to customize the configuration. Make any changes needed to make the new VM match the original. 

See if the VM will power on.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try the following (make sure that you have a backup of the original virtual machine before you try any of this).

This assumes that your virtual machine's guest operating system is supported by Fusion 11.5.5.

Create a new custom virtual machine with Fusion 11.5.5 on Mojave

After specifying the virtual machine type, you;; be asked for the virtual disks. Opt to use an existing virtual disk, and navigate to the VMDK file of your original virtual machine located in its "bundle" folder. Choose the file with the .vmdk extension that does not contain anything extra such as -s001.vmdk .Select it and opt to make a copy of the virtual disk.

At the final dialog, choose to customize the configuration. Make any changes needed to make the new VM match the original. 

See if the VM will power on.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
mcmciis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you so very much for your time in reading and responding. The steps suggested allowed me to open up a of my virutal machine in an older version of VM - thank you