VMware Communities
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Impact of VMware's acquisition by Broadcom

As many of you will be aware, VMware was recently acquired by Broadcom. There've been some (many?) layoffs, and the company has been divided into four parts (https://www.theregister.com/2023/11/23/broadcom_vmware_reorg) (https://siliconangle.com/2023/11/23/broadcom-restructures-vmware-four-divisions-closing-61b-acquisit...).

My concern is what impact this will have on VMware's Desktop Hypervisor, and particularly on VMware Fusion. I realize this is early days, and the information that's been published tends to be vague and non-committal. But is there any indication that the Desktop Hypervisor might be threatened, for example by layoffs within that group?

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our products are sold and versioned differently than vSphere etc, so subscription and perpetual isn't exactly the same. SnS will continue and the licenses will not expire. When "v14" or "whatever.Next" comes around, customers can expect to require a similar upgrade license like when going from v12 to v13.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Now if we can just decouple Fusion from eSXI we'll be in great shape 🙂

I disagree! It really makes us better and inversely makes ESXi better.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Mikero this is indeed good news.

Let's hope that this means that there will be increased investment in the desktop virtualization products. Some of the products have gotten a bit long in the tooth and have a significant amount of "technical debt". Workstation especially needs a lot of TLC - Workstation 17.5 didn't really bring anything new to the table, took features away, and didn't fix some crucial outstanding issues (performance with Alder Lake CPUs, for example).

And while I understand that theres a lot of goodness that comes from ESXi, please note that there are specialized needs for the desktop virtualization products that ESXi simply does not care about (for example, DX12 3D support, shared folders, shared printers, offline mounts of virtual disks... I can probably think of more). If VMware by Broadcom is really serious about this market, those internal issues that prevent meaningful non-ESXI centric features/fixes from getting done have to be removed.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Michael for the quick reply, much appreciated.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Without wanting to offend anyone, very personal opinion, as the old saying goes "no one can do anything with words alone", for as I see it @Technogeezer has fully summarized the continuing state of many things, a real problem for many users of the products in question. Those who do not write in the context of this forum have most likely either not encountered any type of problem or have already explored other alternatives.

What should I do with "support services" if the product is intrinsically functionally lacking, of course, it will give me the right to receive new versions that will perhaps correct the defects / shortcomings of the previous ones, but usually when you buy a product you would like it to be substantially functional right from the start.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am struggling to reconcile the information from yesterday 'all is good - no worries' with an article in The Register -

https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/07/broadcom_q4_2023/

"Broadcom CEO Hock Tan has announced his intention to divest VMware's end-user computing and Carbon Black units, and signalled a rapid shift to subscription licenses of bigger software bundles.

Speaking on Broadcom's Q4 2023 earnings call, Tan told investors "We are now refocusing VMware on its core business of creating private and hybrid cloud environments among large enterprises globally and divesting non-core assets."

"Our strategy going forward is to enable global enterprises to run apps across datacenters and public clouds by consuming VMware's high value software stack," Tan explained, adding: "To attract and retain workloads we are investing in microservices tools."

Tan named VMware's end-user computing portfolio – which comprises desktop virtualization, application publishing, and mobile device management – as one asset to be divested. The Carbon Black security software unit is also on the way out, after on November 27 announcing it had become an independent Broadcom business unit."

I wonder which is correct and will they try and keep Fusion and Workstation together?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

"I wonder which is correct and will they try and keep Fusion and Workstation together?"

Well, since the product manager posted in this thread stating that they are committed to the Fusion and Workstation product lines, I'd say listen to him.

Now, that being said, @Mikero - I have to agree with Paul's sentiment about the non-ESXi-useful features/functions which have been imperative for us desktop product users in his response to you, above.  I do hope the team remembers its users and their needs rather than simply collaborating on common features between the Enterprise and Desktop products - most of the users of each don't cross paths in their use cases.  Over the years we have seen many wonderful inventive features of Workstation get left by the wayside.  Ulli posted a while back (I still have it bookmarked) in great detail about this.  Please don't forget about us!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

MacOS Guest support for example - I know there's obstacles to doing it on ARM, but with exsi controlling tool development and supported platforms, that's a big problem.

That also appeared to be a huge delay in Windows ARM support.  While there may be core-product benefits, from a guest support standpoint, it really seems to be a mixed bag.

0 Kudos
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a bit off-topic, for which I apologize.

With the future of the Desktop Hypervisor somewhat in doubt, I'm wondering if it's feasible to use the ESXi Hypervisor as an individual. You'd also need at least the vSphere Server, and maybe other components. You'd need an Intel box on which to install ESXi, and maybe another on which to install vSphere Server (and other components).

Has anyone here tried to do this? Is there a license that would permit it at reasonable cost?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It certainly is viable for some use cases. But...

a) Not really an alternative for users needing macOS virtualization. Apple licensing prohibits virtualizing macOS on non-Apple hardware.

b) ESXi gives you a lot more flexibility but it comes with a steeper learning curve than the desktop products.

c) ESXi doesn't address a use case of needing to switching back and forth between host and guest.

d) the hardware requirements for ESXi are less generous than for Workstaiton

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I don't have any concerns about the future of Fusion.  Michael's said that they're in good shape, and I believe him (he owns product management for them).  The licensing was just icing on the cake.

@Steven_Michaud wrote:

This is a bit off-topic, for which I apologize.

With the future of the Desktop Hypervisor somewhat in doubt,

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Forget for a moment the acquisition.

The real problem is the market shift and skills shortage. The estimation for space economy in 2040 is a 9000 billion dollar ecosystem. The estimation for 2028 is one million satellites in space. Countries want to manage self-driving vehicles in a few years? How? With analog devices?

Let‘s face it, most IT admins habe no clue about industrial IT. Most IT admins are not machine programmers, and the only experience with sensors is temperature monitoring. In addition, information security is loyalty business. Does Apple come to the door and is begging hey please can you have a look to the virtualization opportunities with our M3? Of course not, and the information barriers trend slowed down integration, temporarily at cost of quality. VMware alliances got stressed at banking level.

It is the best reality that Broadcom bought VMware. They sell hardware like hell. At planetary level, the goal is measured in billions of managed devices. What does this mean e.g. for PHI and PII?

So, at chip level, getting the rtfm of new chips in beta stage to design new and secure vSphere capabilities, that‘s a requirement for performance.

And for EUC and Carbon Black?
The EUC success came from banking, assurances and from hospitals. That said, try to integrate a privacy information management system ISO 27701 with more SaaS and fewer classic apps, at country level and globally. It takes time, right? So, in 18 months, Tesla unleashes a few new Giga Factories, a new hyperscaler physical datacenter e.g. AWS, Azure, GCE, etc. is up and running in 18 months. So, why waiting for EUC management plane? Does EUC integrate OT? No. Does it integrate AI workflows? Rather no.
It does not scale at planetary level. Broadcom unleashed 100GB/s and 200GB/s devices in very short time. They want to bring that cross clouds SDDC approach to the chip. GPU? Yes! Generative AI? Yes! Sensors? Yes!

I believe. 2024++ 

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A New Chapter

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2023/12/a-new-chapter.html

VMware Transition to Subscriptions

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2023/12/13/vmware-transition-to-subscriptions

Subscription-only for Fusion for Mac? I hope not, because subscription is a deal breaker!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

From what Michael posted above, still perp (and free).

I'd gladly pay a subscription if it would add staff and help accelerate development.  Even though it's just personal use these days, I still buy upgrades - I get a ton of value from the product, and want to support it.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

I'd gladly pay a subscription if it would add staff and help accelerate development.  Even though it's just personal use these days, I still buy upgrades - I get a ton of value from the product, and want to support it.

I'd pay a subscription as well if it meant:

• More regular release cadence - like quarterly. Waiting a year for feature upgrades and bug fixes (such as Windows 11 ARM tools support) was excruciating.
  • Access to Tech Support - If I'm on a subscription, I expect to be able to open Service Requests. Maybe not unlimited, but some reasonable number per year that's greater than zero.
  • More investment in the products. Both are woefully underfunded for the amount of work that needs to be done to fix bugs and add features the user base needs.

- Paul (Technogeezer)