VMware Communities
Merrr
Contributor
Contributor

Initialisation of connection to webservers is absurdly slow

Hi everyone! I have the problem that all my VMs take absurdly long to connect to anything in the internet. Once the connection is done, browsing on that website works normally. Switching to something else makes it load again for ages.

I use have a one 1gbs connection and give the vm 3gb ram and 4 cores.

I'm tried everything but can't find a solution. 

I'm using Kali Linux on the VMs btw.

EDIT: When I ping a website it takes at least 5 seconds to start. On the host machine it happens without delay...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think this is a Fusion problem.  It's more likely a name resolution issue in the VM. Double check to see that DNS is configured properly in the guest.

What is the output of "dig google.com" in the VM? It may give us a clue as to which DNS servers are being used and how quickly they are responding. Also, what does "resolvectl status" say in the VM about the DNS servers that are in use?

One other thing to check - I have seen this happen to several Linux distros if the VM's hostname has been changed but  /etc/hosts in the VM has an entry for 127.0.1.1  that does not match the hostname of the VM. 

For Kali, check the hostname of your VM, and then make sure that it's in the /etc/hosts file. My VM's host is named 'kali' and here's what you see if you check things out in the VM:

Technogeezer_0-1703394670900.png

If the hostname doesn't match the /etc/hosts entry, name resolution will be delayed.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos