VMware Communities
callagga
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a license system problem? I can't get my existing fusion license to take (so therefore I can't buy V3)

Hi,

Is there a license system problem? I can't get my existing fusion license to take (so therefore I can't buy V3)

I can seemingly register my existing version (whilst I'm on the latest V2 version of fusion the actual license key I got via email months ago says v1), however when I try to buy v3 it doesn't seem to find it. When I go manage licenses it doesn't either, also some time I seem to get timeouts. I did wait 30 minutes and try again but still no luck. Just lots of people on the system????

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
128 Replies
perrii
Contributor
Contributor

Same story here - this is detrimental to my business!!!! Seems like Fusion adds a "-" at the end of the serial number, which makes the serial No. invalid.

0 Kudos
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

Same Here. Can't purchase upgrade even though I have a valid 2.0.6 license.

0 Kudos
akuska
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My suggestion is to download and reinstall 2.0.6 and try again at at quieter time once the issue is sorted out. Yes, it is a major issue and I'm frustrated as well (at least it isn't my license, but VMWare's site that's the problem), but that's the reason why mission-critical programs shouldn't be updated on the release date.

0 Kudos
cschooler
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. I actually updated the software, but I cannot get an updated license to access my virtual machines. I called tech support, and they said they were aware of the issue, and it should be resolved within 48 hours, and he said I should talk to sales to buy a new license. He transfered me, but I was on hold for an hour before I gave up for now. This is impacting my ability to get my work done. :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

I finally navigated through the website to where I could download 2.0.6 again since I couldn't get anywhere with licensing support since the server is down. I spent over an hour on hold hoping to get into 3.0 today, but alas, I need to get work done with Fusion 2.0.6, not stare at a serial number entry screen all day. This is the first time VMWare has dropped the ball big time since I've been following them. Major egg on their face over this one, in my opinion.

0 Kudos
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

For those of you that need to get work done today and don't have 2.0.6 backed up, here's the URL to download Fusion 2.0.6:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_fusion_for_the_mac/2_0

0 Kudos
chknman
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Should of checked the forum before I installed the upgrade. : ( Not happy. The message says it will be fixed in 30 minutes though. Wait that was well over an hour ago.... ; )

0 Kudos
jeffhrsn
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. The site is a mess and they must not want our money.

0 Kudos
casonjd
Contributor
Contributor

Ya gotta love it. Sit on hold for a half hour, then go through the whole description of the problem...then have to give them my license key twice....wait...OK, yes you do have a valid serial number...so now I guess I can tell you that we are having license server issues. Thanks for the trust there VMware. And what kind of idiot would call up complaining about this issue if they had a pirated license key. How about you put an announcement on your inbound tech support line letting people know there is an issue so we don't have to sit around and go put up with that BS!

0 Kudos
fmcooper
Contributor
Contributor

Me too... On all counts.

Guess I buy the boxed version from Amazon now. What a crock.

0 Kudos
jayrollins
Contributor
Contributor

Waiting for VMware or Mod to update the forum... Judging by the number of views for this thread, quite a few people are experiencing the same issue...

0 Kudos
macoz
Contributor
Contributor

Same problems here. I'd be interested if anyone has had any success with this or is the system completely hosed.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

We are currently investigating the license issues that customers are having. Please note that we are working aggresively to identify and rectify the issue as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards,

Carlos Romero

0 Kudos
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

Now I'm getting this message when I login to my account and try to add the 3.0 upgrade to my cart:

"Congratulations, our records indicate that you have products eligible for upgrade. Please review the list of products you own and select which one you would like to upgrade. Please note that you can only upgrade one time for each serial number you own."

However, if I scroll down, I see the words "Error Page" and there are places on the page where there should obviously be text but there is not. Hopefully, this is a sign that they are working on fixing the problem.

0 Kudos
fmcooper
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved -- found the email I had gotten from Smith Micro in my inbox and "pre-ordered" VMWare 3 for $59. Serial number for V3 appeared instantly on my invoice from them, they apparently aren't having these problem.

Once they get this mess straightened out I will probably end up upgrading my other license and blowing another $39, but this at least got me up and running today.

Ridiculous.

0 Kudos
woodmeister
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, the server finally says I am eligible for upgrade. But now, OOPS!!!!,

error loading page. So no choice for selection requested. Well, at least getting

closer.

0 Kudos
niksterg11
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here. before i couldn't register my serial number (for VM Fusion 2). i guess it's registered now because it shows up on the upgrade page, but the error message shows up. no upgrade Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
altquark
Contributor
Contributor

C'mon VMWare - we want to upgrade to V3 !!!! I'm also getting the exact same issues. Seems I might have to wait a while longer. I could always use the time to test out Suns Virtualbox.....

0 Kudos
asinglepixel
Contributor
Contributor

Same error on the web page here. I liked the free upgrade to v2 better. At least you could download it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

Now getting an error page right away when I try to add the 3.0 upgrade to the cart:

We encountered a system error while serving your request. Please contact our Support team to have this error corrected. If you have an active VMware support contract you can create a support request here. Otherwise, you can send a request to the vi-hotline here. You can also call for assistance at contact us.

0 Kudos