VMware Communities
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It Stopped Printing

Re: Fusion (licensed) running on OSX Leopard current version, running XP SP3 with current updates

I was able to print without any problems for two months but, all of a sudden it stopped printing Smiley Sad

I did not change anything (software or hardware). I checked all the setup stuff (on both XP and OSX) and everything looks as it should (printer is enabled and Ready, many Gig's of space left on the HD, printing works from the mac OSx).

When I hit the print button nothing happens except sometimes the light on the printer blinks once, but this isn't repeatable.

I updated Fusion to 2.0.2 - that did not help.

I read many posts on printing but nothing helped (of course, I did not read all the posts - far too many)

Any suggestions?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
domcm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the latest Apple security update killed my printers also. Both were LAN printers. I restored my computer using Time Machine to right before the security update and everything works now using Fusion 2.2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not enough information to know what your configuration is. How is your printing set up, are you using Fusion 2.0.x shared printers, or do you have a USB or Network printer configured directly on the Guest.?

You should read through this and provide relevant information about your configuration.

0 Kudos
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks - actually, I did read the How to ask a question - just forgot to mention that:

Both the printer and computer are connected to home Network via cable attached to wireless hub . Other home computers talk to Network via wireless. The printer is a Brother HL2170W and printer setup for Fusion is as-is (meaning, how ever Fusioin set it up, that's how it is - it's using TPV Thinprint). All computers print fine in their native op sys. No USB cables attached to the printer.

I'm also running Fusion on a MacBook and I checked today - it stopped printing from XP too - this leads me to think that something in the OSX changed in the past few weeks, as I do download OSX and Firefox updates every few weeks (but, I have not updated the Macbook in a month). Both iMac and Macbook are running ClamXV virus protection and I do auto-update the virus protection daily. I turned them off to see if that makes a difference - it didn't.

And, since I don't leave the computers on during the night (thus, the legacy UNIX system cleaning thing doesn't run) - I ran the UNIX command: sudo periodic daily weekly monthly But, I have been able to print subsequent to that. As I said - it just stopped working. Very curious that both systems with Fusion stopped printing...

I've fooled around with both sharing and not-sharing the printer in both XP and OSx. Also, nothing appears in the Queue.

0 Kudos
michaelalf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I sent it in to VM tech support. The latest Apple Software updates caused the problem. I have tested this on 5 computers so far.

0 Kudos
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Michael - thanks. Good to know it's not me (I've already completely re-installed print drivers and printer factory setup).

So, how did you determine it was Apple updates (by trying on 5 updated machines )?

And, where do "we" go from here ?:|

0 Kudos
michaelalf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We can't roll back an Apple Software Update so unless you want to reformat you Mac and install all update except the last Sec. Update we will have to wait till VMware has a fix. I have installed a PDF printer on the XP side and am print the file on the mac side for now. I am not updating anymore mac till this is fixed. I have 70 mac at my work and found this after the second Mac one one of my people could not print. I tested it on the next 3 confirming I could print before the Update and not after. I have also tested it on 2.01 and 2.02.

0 Kudos
michaelalf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We can't roll back an Apple Software Update so unless you want to

reformat you Mac and install all update except the last Sec. Update we

will have to wait till VMware has a fix. I have installed a PDF

printer on the XP side and am print the file on the mac side for now.

I am not updating anymore mac till this is fixed. I have 70 mac at my

work and found this after the second Mac one one of my people could

not print. I tested it on the next 3 confirming I could print before

the Update and not after. I have also tested it on 2.01 and 2.02.

outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your responsiveness! I've been doing a copy/paste (into Mac program) to print.

No hurry to respond to this post but, if you get a solution from VM fusion, I suppose I won't know unless you reply to my post (I don't regularly come to this site) - so, thanks in advance (and, I realize it may take a good while...).

I used to have a rule that I've been violating - the rule is "Never be too quick to update any software - let others find the bugs and wait untill all is good". I think I'll go back to following my rule.

bt

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If something in OS X's Security Updates has caused Fusion's Pass Through Printing to stop working and the Printers are Network Printers then just disable the Printers in the Virtual Machine's Fusion Settings and install the Printers directly in Windows as Network Printers and then you shouldn't have any problem. Note: You will need to run the Virtual Machine's Network as Bridged and if you change the Virtual Machine's Network Type while it's running then you will need to release/renew its IP Address. Have a look at :

GreyEagle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ive found that if it stops printing, quit everything. Repair permissions and do a restart. that worked for me.

0 Kudos
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much - I did as Woody suggested and it works (sort of - prints only one page, then I need to do it again for next page). I do see Access Denied, Unable to Connect. I don't see where to correct/repair this..

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks so much - I did as Woody suggested and it works, although I do see Access Denied, Unable to Connect. I don't see where to correct/repair this..

Saying it works, although I do see Access Denied, Unable to Connect in the same sentence seems a little bit oxymoronic. Smiley Happy Could you clarify what issue(s) you're still having, thanks.

0 Kudos
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agreed - oxymoronic. But, it say's it all: The printer works (so far). The status of the printer in the XP Printers/Fax panel say's: Access Denied, Unable to Connect.

So, from the standpoint of it working - it appears to work. From the sandpoint of it should not work, given the Status, well... that doesn't make a lot sense...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Agreed - oxymoronic. But, it say's it all: The printer works (so far). The status of the printer in the XP Printers/Fax panel say's: Access Denied, Unable to Connect.

So, from the standpoint of it working - it appears to work. From the sandpoint of it should not work, given the Status, well... that doesn't make a lot sense...

Agreed Smiley Happy

How is the Printer attached to the Network, is it stand-a-lone or it it attached to a computer on the network and shared from the computer?

0 Kudos
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a close friend - his name is Woody, so I auto-pilot chuckle when I get email notification that you posted a response :smileylaugh: .

Both iMac and Printer are attached 'independently' via cables to wireless hub. Macbook talks wireles to the hub, which then talks to printer.

It appears I can print only 'one' page at a time; if printing more than one page, I need to print specific page number (a pain). So, for more than two pages, I'll print to a PDF driver and transfer the file to OSX and print from there (as Michael is doing).

I really appreciate everyone's input/help - thanks!

0 Kudos
domcm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the latest Apple security update killed my printers also. Both were LAN printers. I restored my computer using Time Machine to right before the security update and everything works now using Fusion 2.2.

0 Kudos
outwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks and, darn it! I never setup Time Machine, so I don't have a previous setup to revert to :_| Smiley Sad

And, now the LAN print capability is no longer functioning (I jsut set that up this weekend based on response from this site). I can still print to PDF, so I'll live with that until some magic happens...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't have anything useful to add right now, but wanted to let you know I filed bug 374777 on this. Hopefully we can reproduce it and figure out what's breaking.

0 Kudos
macb00kpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a posted a workaround in another thread... hopefully, it can apply to most of us here.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1173709#1173709

0 Kudos
Peg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you repair permissions? Thanks.

0 Kudos