VMware Communities
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

MacOS 10.7.5 installed but will not open

I migrated my Parallels Windows 11 VM to VMWare without difficulty.  It seems to boot up and runs fine.

But I can't get my Parallels version of Mac OS 10.7.5 to open.  It seemed to install fine.  But when I try to boot it up I just get the gray screen with an apple image and a spinning cursor.  Is there any way to troubleshoot this? I have an Intel based iMac running Mac OS 13.4.1.

Thanks,

John

<OS Version corrected by Moderator per OP's second message>

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

I notice that when VMWare imports my MacOS 10.7.5 .pvm file it lists it as "macOS Server 10.6".  The actual OS version is 10.7.5.  I mistakenly listed the version as OS 9.5 for some odd reason in my post.I went in to the "settings" and changed this to Mac OS 10.7.  But it didn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Completely unsupported.  10.6.8 is the oldest version that will run, and even that has been largely depreciated.  

Fusion dropped support for guests older than 10.10 years ago.  They've now depreciated all MacOS guest support as of Fusion 13.  That said, the tools may still work on 10.7 guests (but you may have to set the guest system clock back to 2018 to install them).  I suspect importing MacOS guests won't work, and you'll need to build a new one from scratch.  And of course, they'll never work on ARM systems. 

0 Kudos
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  As you might have seen I corrected my original post.  It is actually Mac OS 10.7.5 that I'm trying to run.  It runs fine on Parallels from the Parallels VM.  And it imported without difficulty from the Parallels VM into VMWare.  It seems to recognize it as Mac OS 10.6 server for some reason.  Even when I change the version to Mac OS 10.7 it will not open in VMWare. Just a continually spinning cursor. I really need to be able to run an old version of Mac OS to have it compatible with my multiple years of FileMaker Pro documents.  I am running version 11 which is only compatible with Mac OS 10.7 and lower. I don't want to spend the mega bucks to upgrade if I can avoid it.

John

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I have a working MacOS 10.7.5 VM under Fusion 13, but was a fresh install from a few years ago, and not imported from Parallels. This worked fine under Fusion 11.

Importing from Parallels is always an iffy proposition in any circumstance in my mind. Unless, of course, you uninstall the Parallels tools before trying the import. It's always better in my mind to create a new virtual machine then move any data over so that you don't bring over any cruft from the old virtual machine. 

Could you post the .vmx file of your VM. I can check if the import may have set something in the converted VM that might not be quite the same as what I have. You can find the .vmx file by finding the VM in the Finder, right clicking on it, then selecting "Show Package Contents". A new window will open that shows the files that make up the virtual machine. You'll find the .vmx file there.

It's always possible that the Parallels tools has installed a driver that's not compatible with Fusion and is keeping the VM from booting.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'd try to build a new one from scratch.  MacOS VM's are touchy at best, so the import may not work.

There is an upper limit on time - at some point you'll have to upgrade, because when you make the move to ARM, there's no option to run the old MacOS versions.  

0 Kudos
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your offer of help.  I've attached the requested .vmx file.

John

0 Kudos
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

The problem of building a new VM from scratch is that I don't have the "scratch" to work with.  The only instance of Mac OS 10.7.5 I have is the Parallels VM version.  I have a "install OS X Mavericks" file.  But when I try to install it I get an error that the file is damaged.  I also have a "OSXUpdCombo10l9.5.dmg" file.  But this is only useful if 10.9 is already installed.

John

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Some immediate thoughts after reviewing the .vmx file:

Before doing any of this, make sure you have a copy of the VM that you've made with the Finder with Fusion shut down.

• Change the OS type found in the VM's Settings > General to Mac OS X 10.7.
  • It looks like you have 3D acceleration enabled. Turn it off in the VM's Settings > Display. It may not make a difference, but 3D acceleration is not supported for macOS VMs.
  • You also have Bluetooth sharing enabled. Turn it off in the VM's Settings > USB & Bluetooth and uncheck the "Share Bluetooth devices with the virtual machine" box. 
  • Try booting the VM into safe mode by holding the shift key immediately after powering up the VM. If you got it right, the VM should show "Safe boot" in red letters in the upper-right hand part of the login window. Shut the VM down and try again if the VM doesn't go to safe boot. If it boots, then log in and remove the Parallels tools.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Technogeezer (and everyone else that has contributed)

I've followed all of your instructions.  But I've tried opening the VM in safe boot dozens of times now with no success.

I am resigned to the idea that I will be unable to migrate my Parallels VM for MacOS 10.9 to VMFusion.  I had no trouble whatsoever migrating my Windows11 VM from Parallels to VMFusion. 

If I can get my hands on an iso file for MacOS 7x or even one for MacOS 8 or 9 I will give this a try in the future.

Thanks!

John

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you make sure to click your mouse inside the VM window after powering it on, to send focus?  Otherwise, holding the shift key is intercepted by your host OS, not the guest OS.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@jbaughccm wrote:

The problem of building a new VM from scratch is that I don't have the "scratch" to work with.  The only instance of Mac OS 10.7.5 I have is the Parallels VM version.  I have a "install OS X Mavericks" file.  But when I try to install it I get an error that the file is damaged.  I also have a "OSXUpdCombo10l9.5.dmg" file.  But this is only useful if 10.9 is already installed.

John

The signatures of those old installers have expired, so you'll get the dreaded "the file is damaged" error.
Which is annoying, however apple does make newer versions  of those installers available via download.

Here's a few links:

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jbaughccm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I couldn't download a functional installer for Mountain Lion.  But I was able to install Mac OS 10.9.5 into Parallels.  Then it was very easy to import the OS 10.9.5 VM from Parallels to VMBox.  No hiccups!  I don't know why I couldn't accomplish the same thing with my Parallels 10.7.5VM.  But my legacy software runs great on VMBox under Mac OS 9.5.  So I am a happy camper.  I appreciate your help and all the assistance others provided.

John

0 Kudos