VMware Communities
jkahn117
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New VM not booting from CD

Hello-

I am new to virtualization and to the Fusion product. I am trying to create a new XP VM, but each time I try to install the OS, the BIOS only seems to boot from the network. I have tried changing the boot order in the BIOS settings (CD was listed before network previously anyways) and have also tried burning my ISO image to a CD. The ISO image came from MSDN and I have used it before on a PC.

Any thoughts? I've been at this for hours and cannot seem to figure out what I am missing (probably something minor).

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BP9906
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like your XP CD is not a "bootable" cd. Bootable CDs are specially configured CD specifically for booting purposes. Can you verify that this CD is really bootable?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BP9906
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like your XP CD is not a "bootable" cd. Bootable CDs are specially configured CD specifically for booting purposes. Can you verify that this CD is really bootable?

0 Kudos
piebas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think the problem is the boot-order.

Try to boot the vm and press esc when you see the VMware screen, now you enter the boot menu and try to boot from cd.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think BP9906's explanation is more likely, the default boot order has network last.

0 Kudos
Niag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue. No matter what I've tried I just can't get it to boot form CD/DVD. I know the media is bootable. The host machine boots from it without problem.

Regards

Gary

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What happens when you try piebas suggestion? At VM startup, click in the window to grab input, press Esc quickly to get a boot menu. At this point before selecting CD-ROM, make sure in the Virtual Machine menu, the CD/DVD has either the Physical drive or the CD ISO connected. Either Physical or the .iso image will be checkmarked and "Disconnect item" is active (indicating: connected). At this point if you hit Enter to pick CDROM the machine, should without question boot off the CD/DVD, if it is bootable. (See attached pictures)

Edit: added screenshots of the CD/DVD menu and CD-ROM drive boot option

0 Kudos
jkahn117
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Primarily a dumb mistake on my part - the CD was not bootable although I thought it was. Problem fixed. Thanks for all of help!

0 Kudos
pjdeets2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't get to the boot menu because the progress bar goes by too fast for me to hit the key. I tried running a big compile in Visual Studio to slow down my system, but I still could not get VMware to slow down enough for me to hit the key. Is there any other way to change the boot order. I really need to boot into the live CD because my kernel on the disk always panics when I try to boot it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can't get to the boot menu because the progress bar goes by too fast for me to hit the key. I tried running a big compile in Visual Studio to slow down my system, but I still could not get VMware to slow down enough for me to hit the key. Is there any other way to change the boot order. I really need to boot into the live CD because my kernel on the disk always panics when I try to boot it.

Add the following to the VM's .vmx file.

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

and or

bios.bootDelay = "3000"

To add the above settings to the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file...

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP SP2"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" folder by Ctrl+Click (or right-click) the "Windows XP SP2" icon and select Show Package Contents.

You would Ctrl+Click (or right-click) on the "Windows XP SP2.vmx" file and select Open With > Other... then in the Choose Applications dialog box choose TextEdit.

Note: This should be done with the target Virtual Machine shutdown and closed and not suspended.

Also have a look at the following documents as they are good reading: and

0 Kudos
pjdeets2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much. I was really stressed about that. I got into the setup now.

0 Kudos
amelchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello ,

I have the same problem, I am trying to use Norton save and restore and I need to boot from the Norton cd...

please the lines to add to the .vmx files are to be put where exactly in the file... it gives me syntax error...

thanks

alessandro

0 Kudos
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anywhere in the vmx file, but usually cleanest to add it in the end.

Syntax error? Can you add it with any other text editor than TextExit? E.g. SubEtha, BBedit, Smultron, TextWrangler etc. Files edited TextEdit may not work properly.

0 Kudos
amelchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thaks,

I will change text editor,

but, in the meanwhile, shoul I add both lines in this way (AND)

bios.bootDelay = "3000"

or one line only?

thanks

Alessandro

0 Kudos
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Add them in separate lines.

0 Kudos
pjdeets2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can use one line or the other. There is no need to do both. The line

will put you right into BIOS setup mode the next time you start the machine. After that VMWare will change it to

bios.forceSetupOnce = "FALSE"

so it will not immediately go into setup mode on the next boot.

Alternatively, you can add the line

bios.bootDelay = "3000"

to give yourself a bigger time delay to hit the key to enter setup. This will be effective on every boot.

Phil

0 Kudos