VMware Communities
xotxa
Contributor
Contributor

PLS save me, vmdk' has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed

Pls save me, I'm sorry because my bad english!

I put my VM on a ssd portable, when i am using it, i touched to cable of ssd, VM show me restore message (i don't remember exactly what is message ) but i was ignore , and today i reopen it, my VM can't play

I'm using macbook, VM Fusion 8

I deleted .lck file inside .vmwarevm file flowing some tutorial but it can't solve it.

If i can't open it, is there anyway i can get my data back?

Thanks for your help.

This is VM log file.

moderator edit by wila: moved the text pasted log to an attachment.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately at the moment the easiest approach to this problem is this nasty workaround:
1. copy the VMDK file in question to a Windows machine that has Starwind V2V converter installed
2. try to read the VMDK with the V2V converter
3. if possible convert the VMDK to another format / or create a new VMDK with it
4. copy back to your Fusion host

5. cross fingers

Plan B: try to install an older version of vdiskmanager - last known good one is from Fusion 3.1

see

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There might as well exist a "Plan C", which is to find out whether the grain table can be fixed manually.

In case you are interested in this, I'd need the file's metadata. To find out how much bytes exactly are required, please run

dd count=512 if="Virtual Disk-s008.vmdk" of="Metadata512.bin" bs=1

from within the VM's .vmwarevm folder/package, then compress/zip the "Metadata512.bin" file, and attach it to a reply post (please use the Attach link in the lower right in a reply window)

André

0 Kudos
xotxa
Contributor
Contributor

this is my Metadata512.bin

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, the provided .bin file shows the unclean shutdown (as expected), and a metadata size of 1,024 sectors.

Pleas run

dd count=1024 if="Virtual Disk-s008.vmdk" of="Metadata-s008.bin" bs=512

and attach the newly create bin file.

I also need the .vmdk file's exact size (in Bytes).

André

0 Kudos