VMware Communities
mglish
Contributor
Contributor

Performance tuning Fusion 3.0

I just installed Fusion 3.0. MUCH better! I'm excited to start exploring. Is there anywhere that describes how to tune Fusion 3.0 for optimum performance. I see that such a page exists for VMWare Workstation.

Thanks to the VMWare Fusion team for getting this out!

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
andriven
Contributor
Contributor

I'd specifically be curious to know how to adjust an existing Windows XP VM to use less memory (as advertised if doing a fresh Easy Install of Windows XP).

I also find it odd that a 64 MB Windows 98 VM (I use it just to run IE 6 for some heavy online web apps) actually shows a vmware-vmx process in Activity Monitor that takes 199.8 MB RAM -- over 3x the RAM allocated to the VM.

0 Kudos
Tony_Hoyle
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a Win7 VM taking 1.7GB for a 512MB VM, so it's probably about right.. a little over 3*.

Thought i'd run 3dmark05 for fun (it had a habit of crashing halfway through on fusion 2). It's way slower than fusion 2, by a long way - 0fps at 640x480... slower than software rendering.

(subjectively) Win7 feels very sluggish under this version as well. I'll be going back to fusion 2 until osme of the bugs are out.

OK 3dmark finally finished.

gives a 3dmark06 for VMWare Fusion 2 of 948.

VMWare Fusion 3 just scored 562. Meaning its 3d acceleration is 40% slower, which confirms some of the subjecive feeling I have about it.

Edit: Just realized that 948 was achieved at a higher resolution than the 562 too...

0 Kudos