VMware Communities
HansMeiserFlens
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Screen res in VmWare KVM mode

Helped! BUT i can't get it to work in macos guests! If i delete vmware-resolutionSet ( in Library/Application Support/VMware Tools) the KVM Mode still resizes. It seems to utilize another method or don't rely on said executable. Can someone hint me to a solution?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you explain what you mean by "KVM Mode" and what exactly are you doing and seeing?

My interpretation is that you are resizing the console window by dragging a side and making the window larger and seeing the console resolution change. Is that correct?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
HansMeiserFlens
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, my post was moved from the VMware workstation forum by some admin - which explains some confusion. Basically, what i want to know is which "element" is responsible for the resizing activity inside a macOS VM (in a windows guest a specific executable is called and renaming the executable or deleting it will "gracefully" prevent the machine from ever resizing - people call it the sledge hammer method (which is required for certain edge cases)

Anyway in macOS Clients there is a corresponding execeutable (part of VMware Tools) BUT it doesn't seem to work that straightforward. I suspect that the KEXT is somehow responsible but that's just some unqualified guess.

Hope someone can help. Please no solutions with .vmx parameter changes. These won't do it in my case. I try out some weird stuff with USB - HDMI Adapter Passthroughs and other things that just require the auto-resolution-set to no kick in.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You can't virtualize MacOS on Workstation.  If you're attempting to do so, it's an EULA violation and not something to be discussed in this forum.

0 Kudos
HansMeiserFlens
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry but where is my specific question in any way related to running macOS on vmware workstation (win/linux)? My question is related to vmware tools in fusion. 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Your original post was a reply on a post in the Workstation forum but discussing macOS guest, which is why I originally marked the post as spam.  When you then asked the question why it was marked as spam, I restored it from the spam folder and then split it off to a new post here in the Fusion forum.  That is why there has been confusion.

0 Kudos