VMware Communities
WoopsieDo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resize an additional vmdk

Hi I have a vm machine with a local vmdk of 80GB . i also have an additional  vmdk (30GB). I create them on VMWorkstation and they were converted when I moved over to mac. They work fine.

I need to increase the size of the additional VMDK. If I go into the settings and select the 2nd disk, it reports a capacity of 0GB and that the virtual disk file is missing. It is fine on the 1st (main disk)

I have tried running the following command

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager -x 40GB vNextDevelopment.vmdk

from the directory mydisk.vmdk is located and it reports

Failed to expand the disk 'vNextDevelopment.vmdk': One of the parameters supplied is invalid (0x3e80).

Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong?

No snapshots btw. It is a sparse VMDK

Thx

S

Here's a pic of the cmdline and directory contents in case I've mistyped and can't see it (although I did copy/paste the vmdk name)

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 14.44.18.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please compress/zip the descriptor .vmdk files for both virtual disks along with the VM's latest vmware.log and attach the .zip archive to a reply post. What confuses me, is that the virtual disk consists of 21 files, which looks like the virtual disk has already been expanded to 40GB!?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please compress/zip the descriptor .vmdk files for both virtual disks along with the VM's latest vmware.log and attach the .zip archive to a reply post. What confuses me, is that the virtual disk consists of 21 files, which looks like the virtual disk has already been expanded to 40GB!?

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I noticed you use "sudo" ... this might have the side effect of changing the user/group on the files.

You probably have to run a "change owner" - chown on all of the files involved.

Try "ls -al *.vmdk" to see if the user/group is different from the other disk that still works.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
WoopsieDo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

... and there is my idiocy revealed!

Many thx ... changed 40 to 50 and hey presto, the disk expanded! (Needed to reapply permissions on the vmdk)

0 Kudos
WoopsieDo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx ... yes you were right as well since once I'd expanded the disk(!), I needed to reapply permissions to the vmdk

0 Kudos