VMware Communities
jbrett00
Contributor
Contributor

Running a configuration script after the initial boot of a new VM

Is there a way to run a configuration script automatically after the initial creation of a vm? Something similar to role files with Xen. I'm sure this is possible with VMWare but can it be done on fusion?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a way to run a configuration script automatically after the initial creation of a vm? Something similar to role files with Xen. I'm sure this is possible with VMWare but can it be done on fusion?

VMware is a Company not a Product! So a statement like "I'm sure this is possible with VMWare but can it be done on fusion?" makes no sense at all!

Fusion, a VMware Company Product does not at the present time provide the functionality you've described. That is there is no mechanism through the Fusion UI to "run a configuration script automatically after the initial creation of a vm" as in "Something similar to role files with Xen".

0 Kudos
jbrett00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Please change the word "VMWare" to the words "VMWare Server". I hope that now my question will make more sense now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How would you do it with VMware Server? I'm not familiar with Server, but perhaps we can reason out an analogous solution.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

On the OS X side you can tie an Automator script action to the creation of a new VM bundle in the Virtual Machines directory, but the script will run in OS X, not the guest OS.

0 Kudos