VMware Communities
vyedlapalli
Contributor
Contributor

Running .net framework based app

Hi,

I developed a USB 2.0 UVC webcam and an app to use it. the app was developed based on .net Frameowrk 3.0. Can i use the app on windows XP VM on mac host. i am uisng an intel mac with OS x 10.5.1 on it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

V

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have no problem, installing .net Frameowrk 3.0 in a Windows XP Virtual Machine and I have no problem install the Apple iSight Drivers from the Boot Camp Drivers from the Leopard DVD in a Windows XP Virtual Machine and using the iSight although I have not tried it with a .net Frameowrk 3.0 application.

So are you using the Apple iSight or a 3rd party web cam?

Have you installed the appropriate drivers for the target device?

Does the target device work with just Windows? Example, from Windows Explorer I can activate the iSight without any other specific application and see with the iSight.

Is this .net Frameowrk 3.0 application working on a Physical Machine running Windows XP and not under a Virtual Machine?

Or are you just asking a generalized question having not done anything yet in the Virtual Machine?

If the latter then I can't say because I do not have a .net Frameowrk 3.0 application to test with.

vyedlapalli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that installing .net Framework 3.o is not a problem. I answered teh questions below.

So are you using the Apple iSight or a 3rd party web cam?

I am using my own app which is written for windows using .Net Framework 3.0

Have you installed the appropriate drivers for the target device?

My webcam belongs to UVC class. so i dont need to install any drivers. the firmware is developed in such a way that the device uses the native windows or mac drivers. also i tested the cam on both the platforms and worked correctly. My objective is to use my own fancy app on mac. i think its a pain to write the app again for mac. so i was wondering wheather Fusion helps or not.

My app is a .exe file and while installing it installs .net framework 3.0 first and later the application. this is the app behavior on windows. so if the windows is now a virtual machine on mac host, is it possible to install and use my app ?

Does the target device work with just Windows? Example, from Windows Explorer I can activate the iSight without any other specific application and see with the iSight.

It works on both windows and mac. but the app is written only for windows. As i thought it is time consuming to develop the app for mac i would like to use Fusion to use the same app.

Is this .net Frameowrk 3.0 application working on a Physical Machine running Windows XP and not under a Virtual Machine?

My physical machine is mac and windows XP SP2 is my VM.

Or are you just asking a generalized question having not done anything yet in the Virtual Machine?

I am planning to buy fusion. before that i would like to know wheather it helps me or not. I believe i can go for the trail version but i am waiting to get an intel based mac. because i had a powerpc environment till now.

Are you aware of any emulators or other applications that support usb device webcams on powerpc mac. i just need to see live video from cam on my app (an .exe file) ??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

V

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

>> So are you using the Apple iSight or a 3rd party web cam?

I am using my own app which is written for windows using .Net Framework 3.0

I know your using an app you wrote and that is not an appropriate answer to the question I asked.

I asked "are you using the Apple iSight or a 3rd party web cam?"

>> Have you installed the appropriate drivers for the target device?

My webcam belongs to UVC class. so i dont need to install any drivers.

If you're using the Apple iSight or a 3rd party web cam in the Virtual Machine you will need to install the appropriate drivers for the hardware regardless of what application you're going to access the hardware from.

My app is a .exe file and while installing it installs .net framework 3.0 first and later the application. this is the app behavior on windows. so if the windows is now a virtual machine on mac host, is it possible to install and use my app ?

If the program executable's only dependency, beyond default native XP OS files, is the .net framework 3.0 then can you provide the app executable only for me to test against an XP VM using the Apple iSight and .net framework 3.0? If you what to send the exe privately just let me know and I'll send a Private Message with info.

0 Kudos