VMware Communities
SentiMENTL
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Windows 10 boot

I got my iMac 27" Retina 5k a couple of weeks ago and installed Fusion 8.0.2.

I created a boot camp install for Windows 10 Pro and then used Fusion as a VM to stop having to reboot.

FOr for the most part it's been fine, but I noticed that as its boot camped it can't be suspended for obvious reasons, so I have to shut it down when it's not in use.

Booting the VM or boot camp is insanely slow.

As a comparison I migrated my old windows 10 home to my mac book air and it boots very quickly. Ok it's an ssd vs fusion drive, but the iMac install of Windows should boot a lot quicker. I get the Windows logo and then the screen goes black for about a minute before the login screen appears.

I did read earlier there is a bug in the startup for Windows 10 and instruction on disabling fast boot but I don't seem to have that option in my power options under Windows 10. Any thoughts on getting to this another way?

My iMac shipped with 8gb ram which I've just upped to 16gb and give 8gb of that to the VM but that makes no improvement either.

Starting to bug me!!

3 Replies
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

How many CPU processor cores did you assigned to Boot Camp VM? You could set 4 cores to start up VM.

And Is this booting slow only occurred on Windows 10? Have you tried with other Windows OSs?

STEFGEN
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

did you try to deactivate buffering memory in advanced properties ?

I had very poor performances before to do that; better after.    

i am looking for optimize tips. I have macbook with fusion 8. I f you have some...:-) !

0 Kudos
m4v3rick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Care to share your Task Manager Windows 10? Here's mine: Mac Pro 5.1 (2012) OS X 10.10.5 [8192MB/24GB & 6/12 cores assigned to WMware Fusio 8.0]

ScreenCap 2015-11-29 at 19.18.13.jpg

ScreenCap 2015-11-29 at 19.18.21.jpg

ScreenCap 2015-11-29 at 19.18.33.jpg

1. Do you get the black screen - after the Windows logo - in the VM or also booting the bootcamp partition native?

2. Do you have special applications running when you experience the lags?

3. Did you already update your Windows 10 to the latest 10586.14 release?

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ VMware Fusion 8.1 - TRIAL > MP 5.1 (2012) DODECA @ 2.66 Ghz | OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021) | 24GB 1333MHz | 840 EVO's @ DUO X2 | WD RED 4TB RAID0 | 2600 HD XT (MAC) + GTX-670 FTW 4GB (PC)
0 Kudos